Non Christians need not apply.

Maybe (and here comes my defence) perhaps, because I'm a reasonable person who wouldn't discriminate, I might be somewhat naive in thinking others would have no problems in doing quite the opposite.

Even still, it still rankles somewhat!

Can you see my point?

Even though I am not sexist, racist, homophobic, or religiousophobic I can still have empathy with people that are.

I can understand how it must rankle the restaurant owner who is not allowed to refuse entry to a homosexual person. I can understand how it must rankle the employer who is not allowed to state in a job advert that it's for men only. I can understand how it must rankle with the hotel owner who is not allowed to put in the window "no blacks". I can understand how it must rankle with the employer who is not allowed to specify "no Muslims" or "Muslims only".

It is precisely because our society understands that people want to discriminate, and are rankled if the cannot, that we have laws to protect those that would be discriminated against. The laws protect actual genuine harm, at the expense of a few people being "rankled". I am pleased to live in such a society, rather than the one that you propose.

Even though I am not sexist, racist, homophobic, or religiousophobic I can still have empathy with people that are.

I can understand how it must rankle the restaurant owner who is not allowed to refuse entry to a homosexual person.

I have no problems with that - it's personal opinion, no matter how much one may consider it wrong. I thought that whole gay couple suing the hotel for not allowing them to stay was outrageous and wholly biased against the gay couple with not a thought for the opinions of the hotel owners...

This country is all about the other guy, and no one bats so much as an eyelid for the "discriminator", no matter what the grounds or personal beliefs. It's the same on all the race and gay threads, too.

If a thought is outside the bands of 'acceptability', then it's considered bad.

That's never been more amplified than on Sheffield Forum where there's only room for a very small viewpoint with - point in question this very thread - any other viewpoint being considered wrong.

I believe in a world where we all use our own judgement, and while the human race isn't at a place where everyone can do that with love and respect, I hope one day we won't need to be told what to do by the establishment; certainly not at the expense of another's beliefs, no matter how much you consider them to be barbaric, unwholesome, or just plain wrong.

Just to clarify, I'm making these points not because I personally feel like discriminating, after being on here so long any implication of that is just ridiculous, but because I believe we are entitled to hold any belief, and we should be mindful of that.

I have no problems with that - it's personal opinion, no matter how much one may consider it wrong. I thought that whole gay couple suing the hotel for not allowing them to stay was outrageous and wholly biased against the gay couple with not a thought for the opinions of the hotel owners...

This country is all about the other guy, and no one bats so much as an eyelid for the "discriminator", no matter what the grounds or personal beliefs. It's the same on all the race and gay threads, too.

If a thought is outside the bands of 'acceptability', then it's considered bad.

That's never been more amplified than on Sheffield Forum where there's only room for a very small viewpoint with - point in question this very thread - any other viewpoint being considered wrong.

I believe in a world where we all use our own judgement, and while the human race isn't at a place where everyone can do that with love and respect, I hope one day we won't need to be told what to do by the establishment; certainly not at the expense of another's beliefs, no matter how much you consider them to be barbaric, unwholesome, or just plain wrong.

Just to clarify, I'm making these points not because I personally feel like discriminating, after being on here so long any implication of that is just ridiculous, but because I believe we are entitled to hold any belief, and we should be mindful of that.

That's fine but we're talking about business here, not personal opinions. It's a whole other kettle of gibbons!

Archived