Non Christians need not apply.

This organisation might be treading on dodgy ground imho.

A church is allowed to discriminate against non-Christian when seeking to fill the role of vicar obviously, but I'm pretty sure the church lost a case recently when attempting to discriminate in the non-relevant role of cleaner.

What is a relevant role is probably subject to test in court which I don't think has happened, except for that cleaner example, but I do recall that the subjective nature of this led to Harriet Harman answering some specific questions in the House Of Commons last year:

http://www.thinkinganglicans.org.uk/archives/004213.html

If a church is not allowed to discriminate against a bookkeeper, then I fail to see why a faith organisation can discriminate against a person applying for a marketing position.

I new a vicar that didn't believe in God.:)

I new a vicar that didn't believe in God.:)

I know one as well. What are the chances of that?

Seriously, an atheist friend from school (I was a Christian at the time) is now a vicar ... and still an atheist.

I bet the chances are high. I bet there's loads of them.

:hihi:

Seriously, an atheist friend from school (I was a Christian at the time) is now a vicar ... and still an atheist.

:hihi:

Working hours are good, money not bad and no housing overheads the church pays their bills.

Kiddie fiddler priests obviously don’t believe in God.:gag:

I have seen a spiffing job for "Head of Communications and Marketing" for a Sheffield based faith group

I don't see why the candidate's faith would matter for a communications and marketing job. Granted, we don't have a full description of the role, but it doesn't sound like faith should make a difference. I'm sure there could easily be an atheist out there (who has no qualms with the church or religion) who knows more about the bible and religion than similar faithful applicants. Who would be the most valuable in that case?

If it was an advert for a priest/vicar/spiritual counsellor etc, then yes I'd understand.

How would such a group evangelise for unbelievers? Hard to convince someone to believe in 'no-faith'.

Why should it be any harder than convincing someone to believe in the supernatural or in miracles or that the world is less than 5000 years old, you're onto a loser with that stuff!

You start with reason and logic, which religious believers don't like, I know.

There are a lot more arguments for the non-existence of a god than for its existence.

Surely though, seeing as this job is for a faith organisation , then it wouldnt appeal to anyone other than a bible basher anyway . I know i wouldnt want to work for an organisation like that , as ive no wish to be preached at 24/7 .

But you do have a desire to call certain people groups who you do not belong to derogatory names it appears! Which other groups whether religious, racial or other social grouping do you call names to?

I'm sure the Church of England is full of people who don't actually believe in god, I've suspected for quite some time that Rowan Williams himself is an atheist, he really doesn't seem to put much effort in. I guess its kind of hard to keep believing if you actually study the bible closely.

Archived