Cricket Inn (Totley)

Alcoblog

Been here a couple of times now with G/F, the last time being last night. What fantastic food! Easily the best I've had in Sheffield. Restaurant quality food in a pub ... anyone else been there? (No ... I don't know or work for them! ... credit where it's due though!) :)

Been here a couple of times now with G/F, the last time being last night. What fantastic food! Easily the best I've had in Sheffield. Restaurant quality food in a pub ... anyone else been there? (No ... I don't know or work for them! ... credit where it's due though!) :)

Was there last week, hadn't been for a long time and agree it's fantastic :love:

have been and its very lovely. equally as good if you dont mind a trek is the Butchers Arms at Hepworth, possibly even better still.

Yeah! ... that looks really nice (just Googled) It is a bit far, certainly worth investigating when I'm up there though. I love good (pub?) food!

I still find the Monsal (the stables bit) hard to beat, on a cold day when the fires roaring and you've just come in from a long walk ... takes some beating! Very friendly ... so's the Cricket though! :)

monsal is also good, again havent found anything to beat the butchers, but it is a fair trek out. bar meals are slightly cheaper than main restaurant, but its worth the extra to sit in there.

struggling to think of anything similar a buit closer thats as nice. havent been to crag rats yet but have been told its worth a try.

burgers at the cricket inn are always something tasty if you fancy a quality burger, havent found anywhere local as good for them.

it's encouraging to read these reviews about the Cricket - it's walking distance for me and we often stop for drinks there.

It's a while since we ate there but we felt it was a bit hit and miss - I'm going back about a year now. The food came on cheeseboards rather than plates and they served chips in a metal bucket. Quirky!

They charge £3.50 (i think) for a pint of Jaipur there - that's 50p more than most pubs (except Sheffield Tap) for the same beer. I always found that a bit irksome - I can see that a 20p premium on a pint might be justified given the lovely pub and surroundings - but 50p more is a bit pushing it I'd say.

Last time I was there, there was one guy ordering some kind of starter to share - I think it was stuff like bread, olives, tapas - that kind of thing. He got £15 out of his wallet to pay and the bar staff said - £19 please. He was visibly shocked. He said, "are you sure? we order this regularly and I'm sure it's £15" - she replied, "yeah, it was but it's gone up". :o

That's quite a hike isn't it? £4 on £15?

So, I kind of get the impression they are milking it in terms of what they charge.

However, having said that - if the food really is good then I would pay the money. But previously, it was so-so. Which is why we gave it a wide berth since then.

I shall have a nosey at what folks are eating next time I'm in there.

Agreed , it is expensive. Reckon we `ve eaten there about 30 odd times and very raely had a meal that wasn`t at least good. I`d sooner pay £15 for a quality main than £10 odd in a bland pub eaterie. Beer is also expensive but almost always good. We were in there one night and Richard Smith and his wife were testing everything and they`re tough taskmasters!!!

Agreed , it is expensive. Reckon we `ve eaten there about 30 odd times and very raely had a meal that wasn`t at least good. I`d sooner pay £15 for a quality main than £10 odd in a bland pub eaterie. Beer is also expensive but almost always good. We were in there one night and Richard Smith and his wife were testing everything and they`re tough taskmasters!!!

yes I appreciate that. Some years ago I used to do quite a lot of entertaining and Smith's place at Crosspool was a popular venue. I've known occasions where, on a quiet midweek night, I've taken 15 or 20 people to their restaurant. Things got a bit strained for me and some others on the entertaining circuit because if you reserved a table for 20 and only had 19 on the night then they would make a charge for the person that didn't turn up. So, yes, "tough taskmasters" is one way of describing it.

Archived