The British Name

Hello all,

There's been talk about the "End of the Union" if Scotland leaves us.

It got me thinking about the word "British", BBC, BP, British Gas, and many others...

In the unlikely extremity that we ALL became independent, what would happen to all those names? What would happen to the British nationality? Would England still bare the name on it's own? Or would be simply switch over to "English"?

This isn't a debate about if the Union should end! Just want your thoughts on the whole "British" aspect of things.

Cheers

Hello all,

There's been talk about the "End of the Union" if Scotland leaves us.

It got me thinking about the word "British", BBC, BP, British Gas, and many others...

Dear friend :) :)

BP - 89% owned by forigeners, FACT

BG - 91% owned by foriegners - FACT

Jaguar ((Seen as a 'Prized British marque' - 100% owned by forigieners = FACT

BAA = 93% owned by forigenrs = FACT

BT - 90% owned by forieners = FACT

BA - 69% owned by forigieners = FACT

Best regards

LDeville :) :)

What possible relevance has Jaguars ownership got?

Indeed, Jaguar will remain to be called Jaguar either way.

What I'm trying to get at is just the naming of things, not whether they are owned by British folk or not.

If we were all independent countries, would the term "British" still apply to anything other than the geographical name of our isles, Great Britain?

That is my question

That Scotland remain politically unified makes absolutly no difference to the use of 'British' as the word Britain predates all the current political divides of this island.

The celtic/latin origin of the word Britain is to do with where the 'Britains' lived and spoke their language (-Prydain-) which is where England, Wales, the Scottish Lowlands and Strathclyde now occupy. Caledonia was to the north of this area.

Scotland and Wales are just bits tagged onto England, not real countries any more..

I think you should test that theory by going round some pubs in Glasgow or Cardiff docks on a Saturday night and telling the locals that. Let us know how you get on, if you can.

Archived