Help me please- birth family search

andloucal

Originally posted by andloucal

Hi all

I need to find members of my birth family how do i go about it?????

I was adopted 20 years ago and before that was in a number of childrens homes

Please help my life is at a stand still at the moment with this [/Q my sister was addopted she would be about 21 now she was called melanie a sheffield family addopted her i think one of the addoptive parents was a bus driver!im 24 i would like to find her

ok.

start at the beginning!

do you have a full birth certificate? if so, it should have your parents addresses on it. using this address, go to the local studies library in the central library and have a look in the electoral rolls...you can check each year for that address - at least you will then have an idea of how long they lived there.

if they were there for any length of time, it might be worth going to the old address and asking if the current residents have any info on where they moved to - might give you a base to start searching the electoral rolls with (which is a long and laborious process!!)

but, probably wont get far with that as people tend to be cautious when strangers turn up on thier doorstep!

next stop id try would be the phone directory - theres a chance they may be listed....i have rung hundreds of numbers trying to find relis, and it usually works.

also, if you knew where they worked, you could try there - they may have kept in touch with colleagues who may be able to help.

lots of leg work im afraid, but its a start.

I thought the Council are legally required to help you and provide information about your birth family or have I got that wrong? You could also make an application under the Freedom of Information Act and if they refuse to respond refer it to the Information Commissioner.

Archived