Job hunting is soul destroying

While we're on the job-hunting topic, I had an interview a month ago for a job I really fancied (but didn't get) and several things struck me:

Obviously, the longer you've gone without an interview, the less 'up to speed' you'll be, and therefore the less likely you are to succeed. This was a 3 HOUR interview, with Powerpoint presentation, psychometric tests, tasks etc. (tell that to the JobCentre, A4e etc. whose interview 'advice' consists of 'Turn up on time and dress smartly' :roll:).

The only thing that really threw me during a 1 hour grilling was 'Tell us about anything you regret.' Even today I'm stuck as to what you'd say. Surely an admission of regret is an admission of failing? Anyway, it seems the jargon is changing all the time as well. A month ago, I'd never heard of CRM but I researched it and now I know. Likewise 'the third sector' is being used more these days (it means charity :loopy:) No doubt next week they'll have conjured up some more jargon...

Likewise, I never take up the offer of 'feedback'. Apart from the usual 'you were very impressive, but we interviewed somebody whose skillset more closely matched that which we were seeking' (all BS), the things that they thought were wrong at that interview could well be right at the next one.

It's literally like the Lottery. Getting an interview is like getting 6 balls. Actually getting the job is like getting the bonus ball. There's so few jobs out there and an awful lot are pre-determined (internal applicants etc.)

Personally, I think the office-based recruitment agencies are an utter waste of time and can't believe they pay all the rates, overheads etc. when nearly everything is done online. The online ones can be good. Set up alerts with carefully thought-out key words etc.

Unfortunately, the online people are going down the route that The Star used to (when people used to buy it). Every thursday, there'd be placards in town with 'X-hundred jobs in The Star tonyt!' (got to get the inevitable typo in :hihi:). Of course, on closer inspection, the majority of these 'jobs' were training courses, 'Earn £750 per week as a Plumber!' etc. Now, mySheffieldjobs.co.uk does the same with an incredible amount of non-jobs ('No experience required! Start tomorrow! £250-500 per week!') and post the same job in Sheffield, Rotherham, Chesterfield etc. so the same no-job shows up as SIX jobs.

Good luck to the OP and console yourself with this. If you 'fail' an interview in the public sector/universities etc. it's almost certain they already had someone from the inside in mind and were simply going through the motions and the ego-boost that saying 'I'm interviewing all week' gives them.

And if the job is around £14k or less, do your sums and it's simply not worth it.

In the personal information section I have put my name, DOB that I am married with a family, have a full driving licence and transport, not much more than that needs to be said.

Why do you think that that information is necessary? It isn't advisable to put your DOB on your CV due to age discrimination.

Why do you think that that information is necessary? It isn't advisable to put your DOB on your CV due to age discrimination.

If you were a employer with a mountain of CV`s to sort and short list would you put forward one that was “evasive” or would you put it in the bin?

If age is an issue by all means bury it deep in your CV so that at least an employer gets a chance to judge you first but omitting it all together is worse than highlighting it with a red marker pen.

I think I am too old so I left it off my CV.

Where vacancies get massive responses the first job for the employer is to get rid of what could be several hundred "surplus to requirements" applications. These are very quickly filed in the rubbish bin.

I know that this sounds harsh, but it is reality.

I have just started work this week after being redundant for 15 months!!!! Yippee!

I never found the job - it found me! An agency rang me to say that they had found my cv on 'CV library' and thought that I sounded ideal for the role. One week later, I had the interview, three days after that, I got the good news!!

I found that there were a fair amount of suitable jobs online for me. Unfortunately, there were too many also looking for the same jobs. I suspect that a number of people are prepared to 'downshift' in order to get work (i.e. work at a lower grade) - this means that they are well qualified, rather than over qualified.

Why not look at similar roles in alternative fields to the one you're in? (My new job is in a new area to me).

Try looking in CV library, jobsite & sheffieldjobstoday. Get daily email alerts for new jobs (set up keywords, so that you don't get hundreds of titles each day). As a graduate (many years ago), I also looked on sites for new graduates (prospects & others).

There are different sorts of agencies. You sound as if you're signed up with one that finds temporary (& some permanent) work. Make sure that they know you're looking for contract/permanent work, i.e. anything longer than, say, 6 months, not something starting tomorrow (or organise emergency child care?). Sign up with 1/2 a dozen or more agencies.

Expect no replies from companies after submissions. Any reply is then a bonus. (You don't always get a reply after an interview, which I think is the height of bad manners!!).

Your CV may be professionally written, but as a previous person mentioned, you should tweak it to fit the job each time (I had 3 or 4 that fitted most scenarios). So for example, if you are going for a secretarial role, you've got lots of experience as a pa, copy typing, project administration, etc, whereas if you are going for a personal assistant's role, you have lots of experience in dealing with enquiries, liasing with customers (both internal and external), accounting skills, secretarial skills, pleasant manner, etc. i.e. you have all the specific, relevant qualities. Do you see the subtle difference? Or perhaps shove the whole lot in if it's not too long, in order to cover your bases!! Don't forget to add 'soft' skills such as good telephone manner, good liaision with senior and junior staff etc where relevant. ANY suitable skill. Not just the key ones.

Your CV should NOT mention your DOB or the fact that you've got a family (then you can't be discriminated against - family commitments can be discussed at interview, if necessary). Just give your full name, address, phone number(s), email address, full driving licence & own transport (the latter two only if relevant for the job, not if it's just office based).

Finally, be (even more) patient & good luck!!!

Yes by the braindead Tory Daily Mail readers who are high on opinion and low on facts.

sorry but there is, i came back to the country in feb thinking i would be screwed as an electrician, after 2 weeks i was working and still am. the only people i know who are un employed are people who dont want to work so its not as bad as people on here make it out to be

Where vacancies get massive responses the first job for the employer is to get rid of what could be several hundred "surplus to requirements" applications. These are very quickly filed in the rubbish bin.

I know that this sounds harsh, but it is reality.

At last someone that’s down to earth. :clap:

At last someone that’s down to earth. :clap:

I have seen it happen. A lad in the office was asked to go through all the applications and bin any ladies of child bearing age who had not had "their family". Maternity leave etc can cause problems to companies who are struggling.

Not nice, may not be legal, but it is real life.

I have seen it happen. A lad in the office was asked to go through all the applications and bin any ladies of child bearing age who had not had "their family". Maternity leave etc can cause problems to companies who are struggling.

Not nice, may not be legal, but it is real life.

Another down to earth person, the government can come up with as many rules and regulations as they want but we all know what really happens.

Can you work Saturday?

Sorry it’s my sons swimming lessons

Can you work over on Friday?

Sorry my partner is on afters and there is nobody to look after the kids.

Archived