Job hunting is soul destroying

sorry but there is, i came back to the country in feb thinking i would be screwed as an electrician, after 2 weeks i was working and still am. the only people i know who are un employed are people who dont want to work so its not as bad as people on here make it out to be

A lot depends on a person's skills and experience and also the type of employment they are looking for. I've never found it a problem to get work, even after I was 60, but I have transferable skills that were updated as jobs and employment changed.

I also learnt how to successfully complete long winded application forms, which are an art in themselves. For instance, public sector employers insist on them and will completely ignore CVs. Many employers want evidence that a person can do certain tasks, not just a list of their qualifications and the jobs they've had previously.

For the OP, as you are someone experienced with children (having your own) have you thought of working in a school? There are usually jobs advertised by the council such as teaching assistants. Would fit in with holidays etc. and would be long term. Have a look here: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/whats-new/job-vacancies

Click on schools then support staff, quite a number of part time jobs.

sorry but there is, i came back to the country in feb thinking i would be screwed as an electrician, after 2 weeks i was working and still am. the only people i know who are un employed are people who dont want to work so its not as bad as people on here make it out to be

Thats just simply not true in my case. I DO want to work and WILL work when someone gives me a chance! I'm not claiming JSA so its not like I am sitting at home taking the money and making no effort. In between caring for my children I am on the internet looking for jobs and e-mailing applications daily. This is time consuming in itself and very demoralising when you know you're not some numbskull who's never had a job. Without blowing my trumpet I am a young, intelligent person who finds herself without a job for the first time since 1995. Trust me, its miserable :(

I have worked in the public sector for many years so I do know how to complete those type's of application forms - giving examples of tasks that I have completed with respect to the competancies they are looking for. One of the examples I gave earlier in this post was actually a school that I applied to. I had all the skills required plus I'd been on the board of governors at a school. I completed a comprehensive application giving examples of where I had evidence that I could meet the criteria. I never even got an interview and they still haven't provided feedback as promised. Leads me to believe they have someone lined up for the job and are going through the motions advertising the role.

During my previous employment I have attended courses to keep my skills up to date and I have lots of qualifications to support my experience. I just don't get it, I have never had a problem in the past getting a new job. I also have a good employment history showing lengthy periods with the same employer, not flitting from job to job. i have also progressed into other roles with the same employer.

My CV lists my skills and experience first with a personal profile, any info about my age, children etc are right at the end as they are not so relevant. I am thinking of removing this information completely in case its proving a disadvantage.

I have a meeting at the job centre on Tuesday, so I'll take my CV then and get their opinion.

I am limited to certain hours and as my husband works shifts including afters, nights and weekends it does make it hard to find something that fits the day for me.

Archived