What was Chelsea Road, Brincliffe, S11 previously called?

When strolling to Chelsea Park last weekend in the sun we noticed that the street sign for Chelsea Road is on top of a traditional style street sign with a different street name. (Think it began with P or R but have already forgotten.)

Has anybody got any knowledge of this area? I cant find anything on the internet, though will try browsing Ecclesall Library local history books next time I go up.

Thanks

E x

This was one of a number of streets whose names were changed by an order of the council on 10 September 1886. The previous name was Palmerston Road. If the pre-1886 street name sign is still there that is quite a survival!

Hugh

Thanks Hugh, that's really interesting. I may look more into the order. Do you know why it was done? Was it because there's already a Palmerston Road in S10?

You can see the plate if you look on Streetview - the one opposite Cavendish Road within the stone wall.

X

Thanks Hugh, that's really interesting. I may look more into the order. Do you know why it was done? Was it because there's already a Palmerston Road in S10?

You can see the plate if you look on Streetview - the one opposite Cavendish Road within the stone wall.

X

Thats a great spot;was it replaced as the popularity of Lord P may have triggered a spate of thefts.I have mates from the Bridge who regularly steal Chelsea and Tottenham street signs,and my flatmate has collected nearly all the premierships except for Arsenal,West Ham and Norwich-his West Brom lacks the Albion.

Archived