Dangerous driving - Is proposed change a good idea?

It is proposed that the punishment for causing serious injury through dangerous driving should be increased.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15208065

Is this a good idea?

I think not, as it sends out the wrong message. The change concentrates on the result of the dangerous driving, not the true problem, which is the dangerous driving itself. People who drive dangerously do not expect to kill or seriously injure anyone, so they are not affected by a change in the law. Or, if they are, then it is after they have caused death or injury, which is a bit too late for the victims.

I'm all for an increase in punishment tariffs, but it should be for all dangerous driving, with punishments increased based on the likely outcome of the driving. The actual outcome, ie whether anyone is killed or injured, is a matter of luck.

Well I am in favour of it, after a good friend of mine was involved in a huge motorway pile up and left with permanent brain damage which has devastated his family, and the girl who caused the accident because she was texting someone on her phone got away with a pathetic 6 points and £200 fine.

Archived