What does "Home made" mean?

I like to eat out both in restaurants and pubs. I often see a sign that states "Home made", but what does it actually mean? I love proper home made pie, but have had so called "home made pie" in pubs where the lorry delivers the pies FROZEN! So is any food in pubs really home made?

According to Stoke Council, you may not use the description "home-made" unless you have cooked the dish yourself, from raw ingredients, on the premises.

(Why Stoke and not Sheffield? That's the first page I found from a google search.)

But what are raw ingredients? Should horseradish sauce too be homemade from raw horseradish?

But what are raw ingredients? Should horseradish sauce too be homemade from raw horseradish?

I don't know the exact details. I would guess that if you're advertising "home-made beef pie" it means you must, at the very minimum, be making the pie from beef and pastry and cooking it in an oven. Whether you'd be required to make the pastry itself from scratch, I don't know - but a pre-cooked pie delivered by lorry definitely would not be allowed to be so called.

If you're aware of a pub where it is being so called, you probably should contact Trading Standards and ask them about it.

I don't know the exact details. I would guess that if you're advertising "home-made beef pie" it means you must, at the very minimum, be making the pie from beef and pastry and cooking it in an oven. Whether you'd be required to make the pastry itself from scratch, I don't know - but a pre-cooked pie delivered by lorry definitely would not be allowed to be so called.

If you're aware of a pub where it is being so called, you probably should contact Trading Standards and ask them about it.

I don't think that they use the same pub.

Archived