Insensitive or what!!

Did not know where to post this, buts it's kind of doggy related so here goes. Have been busy running day one of our final show for this year and, despite the weather, have been surrounded by a mostly wonderful group of folk who pitched in, knuckled down and got the job done!!!

One person however has really ruined it for me when, on overhearing a discussion about people having cancer, fighting it and coming out the other side, listened to what I said (a friend has beaten one kind of cancer and has been in remission for over the prescribed time but has recently been given the diagnosis of prostate cancer. Said insensitive said it won't be the cancer that kills him, it will be something else, cannot believe it, my friend did not deserve this once, never mind twice!!!! Speechless but incensed and upset!

It probably wasn't meant to sound insensitive at all, the person was probably just pointing out that your friend is strong, and although they have had cancer, they'll fight it off and die from something else, it won't be the cancer that kills them. I kind of get what they meant!

If it wasn't a dog show, was the person who said it a total dog? :hihi:

They probably meant it would be something else that kills them, but indirectly it would be the cancer. For example, the condition could cause a weakening of the immune system, and then the person gets a bacterial infection that leads to pneumonia or sepsis which could kill the person.. It may not have been directly been the cancer, but it would have been the affect of the cancer that caused another problem which causes death. Does that make sense?

Some people are just oblivious to what is socially acceptable in a discussion.

They probably meant it would be something else that kills them, but indirectly it would be the cancer. For example, the condition could cause a weakening of the immune system, and then the person gets a bacterial infection that leads to pneumonia or sepsis which could kill the person.. It may not have been directly been the cancer, but it would have been the affect of the cancer that caused another problem which causes death. Does that make sense?

Some people are just oblivious to what is socially acceptable in a discussion.

It is actually a fact that, statistically, you are more likely to die WITH Prostate Cancer, than OF Prostate Cancer.

It's normally a very "slow" cancer.

Maybe the colleague of the OP, who made the comment, was trying to bring some "brightness" and positivity into what may have been considered a "gloomy" prospect, and to try and show that a cancer diagnosis doesn't have to be a death sentence, these days. Particularly in the case of this type of cancer.

My ex- mother-in-law has had a brain tumour for the last 11/12 years, and has also recently survived Kidney cancer. Fortunately the brain tumour she has is not an aggressive one.

It is actually a fact that, statistically, you are more likely to die WITH Prostate Cancer, than OF Prostate Cancer.

It's normally a very "slow" cancer.

Maybe the colleague of the OP, who made the comment, was trying to bring some "brightness" and positivity into what may have been considered a "gloomy" prospect, and to try and show that a cancer diagnosis doesn't have to be a death sentence, these days. Particularly in the case of this type of cancer.

My ex- mother-in-law has had a brain tumour for the last 11/12 years, and has also recently survived Kidney cancer. Fortunately the brain tumour she has is not an aggressive one.

Indeed, I see more and more elderly patients with prostate CA and it's not usually a huge problem.. It's always other conditions that are the problem.

I also have a family member with Prostate CA, and it isn't a death sentence in that case either. Definitely worth keeping positive about :)

You are probably taking what was said completely out of context

it was not meant for your ears or anyone elses except the recipient.

To give an example

In the recent ClimateGate scandal and published corespondance

the author of one email contained the statement:

"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of...."

Conspiracy theorists seized on this statement as evidence that

the climate data was being manipulated to suit the scientists,

after all what does "trick" mean? To the vast majority of people

it means to decieve or mislead.

However, you have to remember this message is private and not for

public consumption and as such will contain statements that appear

ambigous to the casual reader. In the context of email the word

"trick" can be replaced with the word "technique" to give a more