Wedding dress shops open on a sunday?

hi there, i have been wedding dress shopping today for the first time and have to say i have been left feelign very dissappointed!! Most of the dresses were a size 12 (i am a 16) and so i had to squeexe into them and was told to "imagine" what it would be like! but then if i ordered one in my size i had to buy it!! i found this ridiculous

also, i dont want a strapless dress and nearly all of them were strapless. they did say they could put starps on but i would like to try some one whcih already had them on

does anyone know of any shops that:

1) have dresses in sizes 14-16

2) have dresses with straps and are a bit "different"

3) are open sundays

did anyone else not find a single dress they liked on their first shopping trip?

thanks!!

I think you might struggle on a Sunday. Most wedding fayres are held on Sundays so I imagine that's why a lot of bridal shops shut on a Sunday, so they can attend fayres. Plus many independent shops shut on a Sunday anyway (probably just not busy enough for them to be worth opening).

I think most bridal shops stock 12s, that's certainly what I remember trying on. But I'm sure the average dress size in the UK is a 16?? If so you would think they would have bigger sizes.

They aren't open on Sundays but I know that La Bella Brides at Chapeltown have dresses you can try on in sizes up to about 26, which seems a lot more sensible than the shops that just have one sample size. you can make evening appointments with them I think.

I can't imagine anything more depressing for a bride-to-be than being told to 'imagine' what you might look like in your frock. :(

They aren't open on Sundays but I know that La Bella Brides at Chapeltown have dresses you can try on in sizes up to about 26, which seems a lot more sensible than the shops that just have one sample size. you can make evening appointments with them I think.

I can't imagine anything more depressing for a bride-to-be than being told to 'imagine' what you might look like in your frock. :(

It was really depressing. I went in to the co-op department store yesterday and saw lots of lovely dresses! Really didnt expect to either. Is La Bella Brides good? I was going to go there but then someone told me it was like a warehouse and there was no one there to help you. Have you been?

It was really depressing. I went in to the co-op department store yesterday and saw lots of lovely dresses! Really didnt expect to either. Is La Bella Brides good? I was going to go there but then someone told me it was like a warehouse and there was no one there to help you. Have you been?

I've been a few times with clients and their bridesmaids who had no idea what sort of shape dress might suit them and, if you make an appointment, there are staff there to make a fuss of you and help you try things on.

Yes, it's a bit jam-packed with rails of dresses but they are easy to look through and there's a side room with previous season and sample dresses in at bargain prices so well worth a visit I think :)

• 10 months later...

I had the exact same problem, dresses not fitting and not being able to see what it would look like in my size. The designers make the sample dresses to fit models, which is stupidly small. Someone told me that when I found the dress I love I'd be able to see beyond the fact it doesn't fit. I was very sceptical. I tried on so many, and dress shopping turned into a chore rather than an enjoyable event. I have to say though, when I found the dress I've ordered, it was too small but I loved it and the size didn't matter. I also want straps, but it was strapless. Ask in the shop as they often have little spare bits of material and they can pin it on so you can see the effect.

Unfortunately I didn't get my dress from Sheffield, but I'd recommend Blushes at the bottom of London Road. It was the first shop I went into and I was very nervous but they were lovely. Also look for lace up as they can often be fastened a bit so you can get a better idea of what they look like.

Good luck, and don't get disheartened, your dress is out there! Not everyone has fireworks on the first dress they try, I thought if never find mine!!

Archived