The Blind and dreams..

I'd be interested to know about the dreams of blind people too, but I expect it would be impossible to convey how a blind person perceives the world.

It's like that old question, how do you explain red to a blind person? Except in reverse. How can anyone who sees the world with light understand the perception of someone who perceives the world without light?

And dreams aren't all about the visuals. In most of my dream there's a complete scenario going on that is as much about feeling and situation as it is about the visuals.

Not all blind people who are blind today were born blind. Many blind people have a history of being able to see. Not all blind people are 100% blind. They might be able to see shapes, colours etc.... I guess they dream pretty much like everybody else but obviously with a range of experiences depending on when they lost their vision and how limited it has become.

People who have never been able to see might have different experiences. They will not have experienced colour in the same way as sighted people and will never have seem everyday things we take for granted. I guess they could have different dreams to sighted people, maybe even more varied from person to person.

Who knows. Would be interesting to know.

I'd be interested to know about the dreams of blind people too, but I expect it would be impossible to convey how a blind person perceives the world.

It's like that old question, how do you explain red to a blind person? Except in reverse. How can anyone who sees the world with light understand the perception of someone who perceives the world without light?

And dreams aren't all about the visuals. In most of my dream there's a complete scenario going on that is as much about feeling and situation as it is about the visuals.

Mine are very visual and physical. I joke to the missus that I go skiing 20 weeks a year. I actually go two weeks but I have a frequent recurring dream where I go on a week's ski holiday. I always go back to the same resort in my dream - it's not real but a composite of all the places I have been skiing. Each time I go there is a new building of bar, kind of like one I've been to for real. I know how to get to it from the airport, the best lifts, the best runs, etc... But it's all in my head and I only go there when I sleep. I always have a great time but I couldn't know what the place looked like if I couldn't see or how it felt to ski freely while looking out over a fantastic mountain vista. I'm pretty sure a person blind from birth could not have the same kind of dream.

To answer the question: people born with blindness from birth do not "see" in their dreams; the brain has not developed any visual processing ability and so dreams are made up of sounds and emotions.

I cant even begin to imagine what thats like.:confused:

I cant even begin to imagine what thats like.:confused:

Well, it's dreaming without pictures...

So, I imagine it's rather like listening to a radio show in the dark (with a device that allows you to experience raw emotion as well).

Well, it's dreaming without pictures...

Sarky sod:P:hihi:

So, I imagine it's rather like listening to a radio show in the dark .

But i always imagine what the people on the radio look like.

Infact when im on the phone i do the same thing.

Imagine having no idea what anyone looked like.,

Not even yourself

Archived