Finished My Novel

FatDave

Blimey! 15,000 words in two days? You must have been on quite a roll, FatDave.

Some useful advice from Ian, Peacock_Lady and others, I reckon. Another thing to consider is the Winchester Writers' Conference. It's a chance to meet other writers, learn new stuff, and arrange one-to-one meetings with agents, editors and successful authors. I found it to be a bit of an eye-opener.

• 1 month later...

After sending out my first three chapters to around eight agents, I was accepted by one of them because she thought my opening paragraphs were 'utterly gripping'.

Apparently agents first read the covering letter, and if there are any spelling mistakes etc they won't bother reading the rest of the submission - so make sure you get that polished too. It's a good idea to name-drop too, eg. if another author has said anything good about your work.

The first chapter really needs to capture the reader. And to be honest, when I go out and buy a book, I always read the first couple of paragraphs to see if they hook me into the story straight away. If they don't, then I don't buy it.

So my advice: polish your covering letter and make your first couple of pages mind-blowing.

Archived