Should white families be allowed to adopt black children

Should white families be allowed to adopt black children  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should white families be allowed to adopt black children

Thanks for that, and what makes me overcome and conquer all the bull***** dished out then, is don't let the grief of the past stop or interfere with your present and future....(though it just has, but this doesn't count) ;)

:hihi: Quite right, great attitude:). Notice the trolls are trying to chip in now!;)

Having just picked this up, and with us being grandparents now.

How can race culture have any effect on a new child?

And what difference does race, or colour make?

The connection between humans is made in the brain, not the body.

There is no such thing as black culture, there are as many different black cultures as there are white cultures, This man sounds like an old Uncle Tom if you ask me.

Would he rather the children be brought up with no love and affection at all?

You seem to have a decent grip on reality Balpin, I like ya!:)x

You have made me feel gulity now, or is that the trick.;)

:hihi: No trickery needed, I decide who I like very quickly so don't go spoiling yourself. ;)

Many have tried to make me feel guilty for having more than them, you don't come across as the jealous type. Look forward to seeing you around here and having a decent chin wag. :)

He pretends he's rich for some reason. Its a all a bit odd really...:suspect::loopy:

Frank, I am rich, believe it or not many people are. You seem to have a problem with people who have more money than you which manifests itself as disbelief. You may have had a failure in your life that has meant a shortfall in yours, or the expectations of others about you. Please stop blaming others for that old boy. Thanks.

Now let's forget about all that and get back on topic, agreed? :thumbsup:

I've read most of these posts and replies, but not all so you'll have to forgive me.

I am the outcome of what this thread is all about. I was fostered at the age of 7 days old after being abandoned by my biological mother. I was then adopted a year or so later by my foster parents.

I am mixed race Jamaican/English and my adoptive parents both white.

Back then the authorities remarkably miss-understood the complexities of mix race adoption, as the majority do now. I think this was really out of ignorance and partly desperation to put a solid roof over a childs head.

Myself and partner are all too aware of the racial upheaval this situation can cause, myself personally and my wife through working for the NHS for 30 years+.

The problem you see back then, is yes it all felt very christian and caring to take any child under your wing, but not understanding how that child is perceived in society is in my opinion tantamount to neglect.

Many Many times I would return home from school wondering what all these names were I was being called, shouted and screamed at me. My mother would say "sticks and stones...etc.etc.blah blah"... and repeating that would result in physical assaults on a major scale.

The road I lived on backed out onto a communal garage area, and on the garages around our home there were plenty of NF logos (oh for the lovely 70's) but do you know what, no-one ever bothered to try and remove them.

The school I went to, Oakwood on Moorgate, was a totally different beast to what it is today. Out of around 1600 children there was myself and maybe 4 others that were not white skin. I can remember out of the whole school there were maybe 20 kids that didn't either ignore my existence or pin me down and torture me. Of course this was the 70's so people didn't have issue with things like that, to people like me, that had parents like that that don't like 'fuss'. You might say that's amazing, surely there's someone you could have told. Well who would I have told, most of the teachers referred to me as "That n!gger".

So in my opinion before you can say yes there wouldn't be a problem for a white couple to take on a mixed race or black child, they need to be educated more than just reading a book, because most of the angst children go through at school and in society will not be brought home, for fear of misunderstanding or fear of reprisals.

My 3 children with my now partner all look different, my wife has a ''greek' look about her (lovely almond eyes) and I have a daughter that looks like Pocahontas, another that looks like Liv Tyler and a son that's bright Ginger :) and they are VERY aware that any issues in or out of school and we have their back 100% of the way.

It's all that's needed really, understand it before it happens, life is seldom peachy.

I had a similar experience to yours but am not adopted. My mother is West Indian and my father white. Neither had any comprehension or understanding of having to endure racist abuse at school, as my mother didn't grow up here so never encountered it and my father is white. I also heard the 'sticks and stones' mantra and I have to say both parents were pretty unsympathetic.

Sad (and resonant) though your story is, things have changed for the better and I do not think that it should be a reason not to allow white couples to adopt black/mixed race children.

:hihi: No trickery needed, I decide who I like very quickly so don't go spoiling yourself. ;)

Many have tried to make me feel guilty for having more than them, you don't come across as the jealous type. Look forward to seeing you around here and having a decent chin wag. :)

Well, feeling quite well after a cruise of the Norwegian Coastline, I will give you the benefit of the doubt I suppose.

Archived