Should white families be allowed to adopt black children

Should white families be allowed to adopt black children  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Should white families be allowed to adopt black children

I'd disagree. The child who would benefit most should be placed. The children's needs should not be influenced at all by the colour.

For example if the child was sight impaired and black would he/she benefit more from being placed with black parents who have full sight. Or to parents who are white and the mother is sight impaired and a father whom works with sight impaired children?

It's never black and white, pardon the pun..:D

Oh indeed, I agree with all that, it's definitely not black and white at all. :D

If there were 2 sets of parents wanting to adopt, a white couple and a black couple, there was one child available, both couples had the exact same circumstances other than the colour difference. I would then place the black child with the black family.

Of course that is extremely unlikely, so all in all I don't think colour should really come in to it, but still.

EDIT: In fact, it is so unlikely that it was probably not even worth me mentioning whatsoever in the first place.

Oh indeed, I agree with all that, it's definitely not black and white at all. :D

If there were 2 sets of parents wanting to adopt, a white couple and a black couple, there was one child available, both couples had the exact same circumstances other than the colour difference. I would then place the black child with the black family.

Of course that is extremely unlikely, so all in all I don't think colour should really come in to it, but still.

Yes if all equal black to black and white to white...

Should white families be allowed to adopt black children, apparently the system we have now means black children are left in care longer than white children because there are fewer black people wanting to adopt.

I watched a program with a black man saying black child are better off in care than living with a loving caring white family because a white family cannot offer black culture.

I would have thought for a black child born in the UK and in care that a loving home is more important than black culture. What is different about British black culture and British white culture and should there be a difference?

Having just picked this up, and with us being grandparents now.

How can race culture have any effect on a new child?

And what difference does race, or colour make?

The connection between humans is made in the brain, not the body.

There is no such thing as black culture, there are as many different black cultures as there are white cultures, This man sounds like an old Uncle Tom if you ask me.

Would he rather the children be brought up with no love and affection at all?

I've read most of these posts and replies, but not all so you'll have to forgive me.

I am the outcome of what this thread is all about. I was fostered at the age of 7 days old after being abandoned by my biological mother. I was then adopted a year or so later by my foster parents.

I am mixed race Jamaican/English and my adoptive parents both white.

Back then the authorities remarkably miss-understood the complexities of mix race adoption, as the majority do now. I think this was really out of ignorance and partly desperation to put a solid roof over a childs head.

Myself and partner are all too aware of the racial upheaval this situation can cause, myself personally and my wife through working for the NHS for 30 years+.

The problem you see back then, is yes it all felt very christian and caring to take any child under your wing, but not understanding how that child is perceived in society is in my opinion tantamount to neglect.

Many Many times I would return home from school wondering what all these names were I was being called, shouted and screamed at me. My mother would say "sticks and stones...etc.etc.blah blah"... and repeating that would result in physical assaults on a major scale.

The road I lived on backed out onto a communal garage area, and on the garages around our home there were plenty of NF logos (oh for the lovely 70's) but do you know what, no-one ever bothered to try and remove them.

The school I went to, Oakwood on Moorgate, was a totally different beast to what it is today. Out of around 1600 children there was myself and maybe 4 others that were not white skin. I can remember out of the whole school there were maybe 20 kids that didn't either ignore my existence or pin me down and torture me. Of course this was the 70's so people didn't have issue with things like that, to people like me, that had parents like that that don't like 'fuss'. You might say that's amazing, surely there's someone you could have told. Well who would I have told, most of the teachers referred to me as "That n!gger".

So in my opinion before you can say yes there wouldn't be a problem for a white couple to take on a mixed race or black child, they need to be educated more than just reading a book, because most of the angst children go through at school and in society will not be brought home, for fear of misunderstanding or fear of reprisals.

My 3 children with my now partner all look different, my wife has a ''greek' look about her (lovely almond eyes) and I have a daughter that looks like Pocahontas, another that looks like Liv Tyler and a son that's bright Ginger :) and they are VERY aware that any issues in or out of school and we have their back 100% of the way.

It's all that's needed really, understand it before it happens, life is seldom peachy.

What a great post, I read through it twice, something I rarely do as most posts don't warrant it.

My experience is similar to yours, not due to skin colour but due to the fact that I had more than the other kids when I was young. Being different scares people hence the trolls on here continue to bat it out with one another with no acknowledgement to your superior post.;):)

Having just picked this up, and with us being grandparents now.

How can race culture have any effect on a new child?

And what difference does race, or colour make?

The connection between humans is made in the brain, not the body.

There is no such thing as black culture, there are as many different black cultures as there are white cultures, This man sounds like an old Uncle Tom if you ask me.

Would he rather the children be brought up with no love and affection at all?

If you're referring to kids going into care and no affection, then it depends on the carer or home. My mother worked in childrens homes from the early 60's to the late 90's. She worked at quite a few homes and up to when she passed away a couple of years ago she still had regular visits from the majority of children that had been through her homes, all calling her mom.

That doesn't come without love and affection.

What a great post, I read through it twice, something I rarely do as most posts don't warrant it.

My experience is similar to yours, not due to skin colour but due to the fact that I had more than the other kids when I was young. Being different scares people hence the trolls on here continue to bat it out with one another with no acknowledgement to your superior post.;):)

Thanks for that, and what makes me overcome and conquer all the bull***** dished out then, is don't let the grief of the past stop or interfere with your present and future....(though it just has, but this doesn't count) ;)

What did you have more of? Imagination, no doubt...:hihi:

If you're referring to kids going into care and no affection, then it depends on the carer or home. My mother worked in childrens homes from the early 60's to the late 90's. She worked at quite a few homes and up to when she passed away a couple of years ago she still had regular visits from the majority of children that had been through her homes, all calling her mom.

That doesn't come without love and affection.

I take your point.

What a great lady she must have been.

People like your Mum are a credit to the human race.

We should all try to emulate them.

Archived