The Tories really are the party of low tax.

The relianace on the financial sector needs to be broken. That is the first painful restructuring we have to do. Then we have to learn from successful exporters like Germany. Unfortunately it's a case of rebalancing the economy to somewhere like it was before the 80s only with more efficient, more modern industry this time. I didn't say it would be easy but I'd rather we tried to emulate Germany than tried to emulate Romania.

I don't see a single idea in your posting towards attracting industries to the UK. Neither do I see any ideas that would make the UK any more attractive to folks looking to start up businesses. The sad fact is that we live in a global market where multinational corporations can move production where they like. It might not seem an attractive proposition to be competing with Korea or other European countries for factories, but as world demand for goods can be easily met by production in these places I am yet to hear of an alternative.

So I'll ask again..How do you intend to pay off our debts, reduce our deficit and create jobs for the unemployed, because clearly increasing taxes on the wealthy job creators is what got us into this mess in the first place?

The relianace on the financial sector needs to be broken. That is the first painful restructuring we have to do. Then we have to learn from successful exporters like Germany. Unfortunately it's a case of rebalancing the economy to somewhere like it was before the 80s only with more efficient, more modern industry this time. I didn't say it would be easy but I'd rather we tried to emulate Germany than tried to emulate Romania.

As smashing as that plan is, I'm not sure that the rest of the world and UK voters will politely wait 40 years and then do as they are told so that persons as yet unknown may have a go at restructuring the entire UK economy.

I don't see a single idea in your posting towards attracting industries to the UK. Neither do I see any ideas that would make the UK any more attractive to folks looking to start up businesses. The sad fact is that we live in a global market where multinational corporations can move production where they like. It might not seem an attractive proposition to be competing with Korea or other European countries for factories, but as world demand for goods can be easily met by production in these places I am yet to hear of an alternative.

So I'll ask again..How do you intend to pay off our debts, reduce our deficit and create jobs for the unemployed, because clearly increasing taxes on the wealthy job creators is what got us into this mess in the first place?

I could ask you the same thing. How would you do it?

It's a nonsense to say our problems are caused by taxing the rich too much. Absolute drivel. Sorry.

As smashing as that plan is, I'm not sure that the rest of the world and UK voters will politely wait 40 years and then do as they are told so that persons as yet unknown may have a go at restructuring the entire UK economy.

It would have to be a government led restructuring. Providing infrastructure and the necessary incentives. Some of which could be tax related if necessary. We can't just wait for it to happen - the Tory experiment of just waiting for the private secord to pitch in hasn't worked.

So, in short, the plan to get out of the problems caused by the debt that we can't afford to pay now is to borrow more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a plan that works and achieves the fabulous objectives you espouse, but you'll appreciate that I have one or two reservations.

To begin with, have you an indication of the cost of restructuring, and where the money will come from?

I could ask you the same thing. How would you do it?

It's a nonsense to say our problems are caused by taxing the rich too much. Absolute drivel. Sorry.

I'm afraid it is you that is posting absolute drivel. I have highlighted several istances where very rich people have moved away from the UK simply because of increased taxation. Whilst some might say good ridance it doesn't alter the fact that these people paid £millions in UK taxes which they don't any more. Worse still is the thousands of jobs that these people created in the UK have moved along with them.

I keep asking people how they would force/encourage Jenson Button to pay his taxes in the UK? I have yet to receive an answer.

No one is going to relocate a major business to the UK if it is commercially advantageous for them in a different country. That is the issue that needs to be addressed.

So, in short, the plan to get out of the problems caused by the debt that we can't afford to pay now is to borrow more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a plan that works and achieves the fabulous objectives you espouse, but you'll appreciate that I have one or two reservations.

To begin with, have you an indication of the cost of restructuring, and where the money will come from?

Didn't borrowing more to pay off debt and improve services work for Greece, or have I got that one wrong?

Yes we will probably have to borrow. But our level of borrowing is growing anyway. Remember our borrowing rates are very low - I also suggested on another thread taking the cap off NS&I savings so the govt can borrow more freely internally - there has to be a synergy there between people looking for safe investments and the govt needing money for investment.

I'm afraid it is you that is posting absolute drivel. I have highlighted several istances where very rich people have moved away from the UK simply because of increased taxation. Whilst some might say good ridance it doesn't alter the fact that these people paid £millions in UK taxes which they don't any more. Worse still is the thousands of jobs that these people created in the UK have moved along with them.

I keep asking people how they would force/encourage Jenson Button to pay his taxes in the UK? I have yet to receive an answer.

No one is going to relocate a major business to the UK if it is commercially advantageous for them in a different country. That is the issue that needs to be addressed.

It wasn't me who said all our problems were clearly due to taxing the wealthy too much. You said it. And you were wrong. Go for a walk or something and clear your head.

Yes we will probably have to borrow. But our level of borrowing is growing anyway. Remember our borrowing rates are very low -

Isn't that because the UK has a good credit rating, and the reason that the UK has a good credit rating is because it is reducing it's deficit?

Ergo...

I also suggested on another thread taking the cap off NS&I savings so the govt can borrow more freely internally - there has to be a synergy there between people looking for safe investments and the govt needing money for investment.

What's it got to do with the government? Why is it their job to "invest"? Isn't that what got us into this sovereign debt mess in the first place?

Archived