The Tories really are the party of low tax.

I do not view my fellow men as slaves to be exploited.

Technological advance is something that should be used to increase living standards, not inequality.

So does that mean that you think people on low incomes should be financially subsidised to buy items they don't need?

People are forced to spend more money on beer (DUTY, VAT, premises license etc.)

People are forced to spend more money on cigarettes - DUTY VAT etc.

People are forced to spend more on basic housing - Monopoly of land, minimum rents, etc.

I do understand what priorities are.

I'm sorry but who is requiring people to buy beer and tobacco or else? Neither of those are what you would call life essentials...

I'm also not aware of anyone enforcing a minimum rent - and before you bang your increasingly tired drum Housing Benefit is not a minumum rent level to charge either.

So does that mean that you think people on low incomes should be financially subsidised to buy items they don't need?

No, I think citizens should be paid a basic income as a part of citizenship. Taxes raised in the form of an economic rent, paid to the citizens, in order for people to meet their basic needs.

I think citizens should be able to access a small plot of land to house themselves and grow crops if they so wish.

Depends what you mean by achieve. Nurses don't get paid very much but I would say they achieve quite a lot.
Nurses can achieve multiple promotions and end up with a rather comfortable income, so they don't have to sponge off the state as many others prefer to do throughout their lives.

In your sad world though a persons worth is judged only by how much cash they have in their pocket.
I won't make personal judgements about you with little or no knowledge about you, so it would be polite if you would refrain from making silly and erroneous claims like this.

I can and do have respect for people with little money – if that person is worthy of respect. The measure is the person they are and their own morality, not their wealth.

What is sad is that you think people are divided into the poor and the wealthy. Plenty of so-called ‘poor’ people share my contempt for those who choose a life of sponging rather than seeking work. People can be wealthy or poor and still be scummers (just look at footballers) , conversely people can be poor or wealthy and still be dignified.

Nurses can achieve multiple promotions and end up with a rather comfortable income, so they don't have to sponge off the state as many others prefer to do throughout their lives.

I won't make personal judgements about you with little or no knowledge about you, so it would be polite if you would refrain from making silly and erroneous claims like this.I can and do have respect for people with little money – if that person is worthy of respect. The measure is the person they are and their own morality, not their wealth.

What is sad is that you think people are divided into the poor and the wealthy. Plenty of so-called ‘poor’ people share my contempt for those who choose a life of sponging rather than seeking work. People can be wealthy or poor and still be scummers (just look at footballers) , conversely people can be poor or wealthy and still be dignified.

Maybe you ought to practice what you preach, snerk !!

I won't make personal judgements about you with little or no knowledge about you, so it would be polite if you would refrain from making silly and erroneous claims like this.

I can and do have respect for people with little money – if that person is worthy of respect. The measure is the person they are and their own morality, not their wealth.

Using a term like scummers is indicative of your attitude to others.

Maybe you ought to practice what you preach, snerk !!
Okay, so show me where I've made a personal attack or suggested personal things about another poster?

Using a term like scummers is indicative of your attitude to others.
I'm sure you won't deny that there are scummy people in this world - but I'm not pinning that title on anybody who doesn't deserve it.

Okay, so show me where I've made a personal attack or suggested personal things about another poster?

I'm sure you won't deny that there are scummy people in this world - but I'm not pinning that title on anybody who doesn't deserve it.

Is it you who makes that decision-how frightening!

Archived