Limiting the guests for the wedding breakfast

To try and limit the budget we were looking at limiting the number of friends and family we invited to a wedding breakfast.... if we had one. I just wondered if anyone had invited friends and family to watch the actual ceremony but then did not invite them to the breakfast?

I am not sure about this as I would feel pretty arkward for family to have to go elsewhere a few hours if they weren't invited to the sit down meal. I didn't want the option of a buffet as I wanted something a little more traditional.

:help::huh:

Always difficult, but one wedding I photographed recently had around 100 to the church then 30 to the wedding breakfast. All the others were invited to the evening do !!

This would work if they were all local but would be difficult if they were travelling some distance

To try and limit the budget we were looking at limiting the number of friends and family we invited to a wedding breakfast.... if we had one. I just wondered if anyone had invited friends and family to watch the actual ceremony but then did not invite them to the breakfast?

I am not sure about this as I would feel pretty arkward for family to have to go elsewhere a few hours if they weren't invited to the sit down meal. I didn't want the option of a buffet as I wanted something a little more traditional.

My aunt did this and some of the guests moaned but I wouldn't feel guilty about it-its your day! My aunt and uncle don't regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a wedding like this, we didnt mind at all!

I think it works better if your ceremony is somewhere different to your breakfast and reception - because people are leaving one location anyway. Or if there is somewhere for the other guests to go and spend time etc - the one I went to was in th middle of Leeds s we chilled out, had some lunch and things, which was nice.

We thought about doing this for ours, but because we ae doing it all in once place and the venue is quite remote it felt like it would be awkward for the other guests to find something to do - especially if the weather was bad.

It's your day, you have enough stress organising a wedding. Do what you want to do not what you think others would like.

I got married 6 years ago, about 70 people came to the ceremony but we had a wedding breakfast for only our closest family and friends which was 38 and then an evening reception for 200 with buffet. It was a brilliant day and eveyone enjoyed it.

Recently I also went to the wedding of a (not so close) friend and she didn't have an evening reception just a wedding breakfast and that was for just 25 of her family and friends of which I wasn't one but I didn't feel piqued or slighted in any way, I saw her get married, passed on my good wishes and a small gift and went home happy.

I'd find that odd as a guest and I'd probably just decline to come to the ceremony and then go and amuse myself for 3 hours.

If they're not close enough to be invited for food, just invite them for the reception afterwards.

Archived