Widely accepted theories ideas that you disagree with.

It isn't necessary to know what anything is, but I'm actually just curious what upinwath does know about them, as he seems to be a world leading expert in high energy physics and relativity.

There is no necessity to be a world leading expert. I don't even have a proper college education, but I've provided everything that is relevant to the discussion.

Diamonds no longer are expensive; they can be manufactured by the ton lot.

For reasons I cannot begin to fathom, the diamond-mining companies have managed to persuade most countries that diamonds produced in a factory cannot be called diamonds, even though they are absolutely identical to diamonds produced in the earth's mantle.

I reckon gold will go pretty much the same way with alchemy at some point.

I can't understand why diamonds are so expensive when there are millions of them in circulation in jewelry.

Because the price of diamonds is fixed by a cartel, and a lot of work has gone into making them "worth something" when in fact they aren't really worth much.

Shiny pebbles.

There is no necessity to be a world leading expert. I don't even have a proper college education, but I've provided everything that is relevant to the discussion.

But your English comprehension seems to have overlooked the fact I was addressing the question to upinwath, not because I believe knowing what a muon neutrino is, is important, but because I don't think he knows what he is talking about.

But since you're here, why don't you tell us exactly what a muon neutrino actually is? I'm sure upinwath would like to know.

Most scientific theories are made up to explain things we don't understand because they frighten us, scientists especially like making up theories that can never be proved. Put all the religion preachers and the scientists on an island with only enough food for half of them and last ones standing are the ones that are right.

But your English comprehension seems to have overlooked the fact I was addressing the question to upinwath, not because I believe knowing what a muon neutrino is, is important, but because I don't think he knows what he is talking about.

If he'd claimed to be a world expert on muon neutrinos, that might be a relevant point; but he didn't, so it isn't.

While I'm at it do you have any cartoons that explain to me how neutrinos are part of the electromagnetic spectrum and not sub atomic particles... hang on wait a sec... you're not going to have any of those because neutrinos aren't light.

You got anything else you want to fail at... maybe you would like to explain why you think all observations to date demonstrate that the speed of light is a constant* yet you think otherwise?

jb

* for any given medium.

When you point out where I suggested they were, I'll happily debate with you.

Not much point debating with someone who makes up what I've said and uses that as a base for their argument.

It's called "A lie".

That or your ability to differentiate between the quoted text and a comment is impaired. Perhaps you should email CERN and explain it to them.

It’s here, on page one where you are clearly conflating neutrinos with electromagnetic radiation, otherwise why follow the CERN quote with your drivel about the speed of light?

http://arxiv.org/abs/1109.4897

The OPERA neutrino experiment at the underground Gran Sasso Laboratory has measured the velocity of neutrinos from the CERN CNGS beam over a baseline of about 730 km with much higher accuracy than previous studies conducted with accelerator neutrinos. The measurement is based on high-statistics data taken by OPERA in the years 2009, 2010 and 2011. Dedicated upgrades of the CNGS timing system and of the OPERA detector, as well as a high precision geodesy campaign for the measurement of the neutrino baseline, allowed reaching comparable systematic and statistical accuracies. An early arrival time of CNGS muon neutrinos with respect to the one computed assuming the speed of light in vacuum of (60.7 \pm 6.9 (stat.) \pm 7.4 (sys.)) ns was measured. This anomaly corresponds to a relative difference of the muon neutrino velocity with respect to the speed of light (v-c)/c = (2.48 \pm 0.28 (stat.) \pm 0.30 (sys.)) \times 10-5.

I've been arguing that Einstein was a bit of a moron with his daft theory about the speed of light being constant for ages.

Looks like I'm finally to be proven right.

Oh, and one other thing, even if it is categorically demonstrated that the results are correct it does not follow that all the observations to date about the speed of light being constant are wrong, it simply opens up some new physics of which we we’re previously unaware.

jb

IMO The widely accepted belief that Thatcher revolutionised the British economy and brought us into the modern era was nothing more than a masterful piece of propaganda achieved by constantly repeating the mantra

and cherry picking the evidence to back it up over a number of years.

Thatcher went from having one of the lowest popularity levels of any British leader ever, to huge approval ratings within the few short weeks of the Falklands war. Her popularity was born of patriotic fervour (despite the fact she had slashed navy patrols in the Falklands and set in motion the chain of events which led to the war). When Britain began to benefit from the global economic upturn which began the following year, the slick Tory propaganda machine took maximum advantage of this climate of widespread unconditional admiration for our glorious, victorious war leader, and the myth of the Thatcher 'economic miracle' was born.

The short boom in the mid to late 80s was something which happened across most the developed world. Furthermore, In the UK, it was heavily subsidised though the sell off of oil and other national assets, and the large sums withdrawn from public services and the NHS.

On the other hand, the housing crash which began on Thatcher's watch, and which caused the return of economic stagnation, was particular to the UK. Thatcher aimed to massively increase the proportion of home owners, and she kicked started the rush on the housing market by introducing thousands of new owners through the sale of public housing stock. It is hard to see how this policy could not have been - at least - a strong contributory factor to the ensuing property bubble.

Some of Thatcher's reforms to labour laws and industrial subsidisation were neccessary. But she went way too far. She clearly regarded British manufacturing to be a bastion of the left, and it is difficult to believe her fervour was solely the result of long term economic planning. British industry has never recovered.

In the current economic climate, the wisdom of running down the manufacturing base - in favour encouraging the type of economy which Thatcher ushered in - starts to become very questionable in its irreversable long term effects. Those countries which have withstood the current global economic chaos the best are the manufacturing countries.

It’s here, on page one where you are clearly conflating neutrinos with electromagnetic radiation, otherwise why follow the CERN quote with your drivel about the speed of light?

It isn't drivel. The only reason anyone ever assumed that the speed of light was an unbreakable barrier, is because that is a necessary consequence of it being observed to be the same speed regardless of an observer's motion. If the CERN results are genuine, then the speed of light is not a constant.

Archived