Anyone recommend a renualt clio ?

hi everyone , would anyone recommend a renualt clio 98-00 model or the one above cause i am thinking of buying a little cheap one for a first car just for a runner about , are they good cars , are they good on insurance , cheers :)

I got one for my first car when I was 28. It's only a 1.2 but insurance was still £800.

There are a lot of well known problems with the old model Clios, so be very careful when buying. I think the two main ones are:

(1) Poorly designed sunroof. Not watertight! This will cause water to enter the car, and damage the central locking sensor.

(2) Fault with the bonnet hatch on certain models. I know of a friend who was on the motorway doing 70something, when the bonnet flew open. Could've been fatal. Thankfully they were ok.

I like them though. They look good, and if you look after it, you should be fine.

I got one for my first car when I was 28. It's only a 1.2 but insurance was still £800.

There are a lot of well known problems with the old model Clios, so be very careful when buying. I think the two main ones are:

(1) Poorly designed sunroof. Not watertight! This will cause water to enter the car, and damage the central locking sensor.

(2) Fault with the bonnet hatch on certain models. I know of a friend who was on the motorway doing 70something, when the bonnet flew open. Could've been fatal. Thankfully they were ok.

I like them though. They look good, and if you look after it, you should be fine.

Are you sure this was a Clio?:hihi:

Watch out for oil finding its way into the airbox and causing running problems with weird symptoms on the 1.2 model - Easy to check. Most other running problems are caused by neglect or poor servicing, timing problems and electrical problems being the most obvious. The sun roofs are poor fitting, leak and rattle.

Archived