Anyone on here know their stuff about crash investigations?

It's driving etiquette and taught when you are learning to drive, it's recommended in the Highway Code to give way to traffic ascending a hill.
It is indeed good etiquette but if the driver coming uphill has to cross the centreline of the road onto the 'wrong' side, he does not have right of way.

The OP's only straw to grasp at would have been for the Police to find skidmarks at the time of the accident and be able to demonstrate that the other party was speeding. Even then, it would probably go 'knock for knock' as the OP was on the other driver's side of the road anyway.

After the event, any skidmarks found might be argued to have been caused by other cars since the incident, so all that is left is the black and white evidence that the OP was on the other driver's side of the road.

It's not fair in this case, but he's stuffed, big time. (Forgive the pun BT!).

Chapter 155 in General Advice...it's mentioned for single track road which effectively is what happens when there are parked cars, I was taught this by my instructor 17 years ago, it's deemed courteous and to me makes sense anyway so as not to halt travel then relying on a clutch control start, gear changing, roll backs etc...My apologies for trying to be a polite driver..Maybe if everyone was a little more sensible in their driving, fewer accidents and road-rage events would happen :D

Chapter 155 in General Advice...it's mentioned for single track road which effectively is what happens when there are parked cars, I was taught this by my instructor 17 years ago, it's deemed courteous and to me makes sense anyway so as not to halt travel then relying on a clutch control start, gear changing, roll backs etc...My apologies for trying to be a polite driver..Maybe if everyone was a little more sensible in their driving, fewer accidents and road-rage events would happen :D
Courtesy in the case you describe is something we all wish for, and hopefully all apply - but that doesn't alter the law on right of way if somebody crosses onto the opposite side of the road.

Well yes, where else would two cars be unable to pass apart from a single track road?

The road in question wasn't a single track road..it was a normal road with cars parked..the guy going uphill was on the "wrong" side of the road..not the same thing at all.. :)

Anyhoooooo, after that light hearted debate..

I think the answer to the OP's original question of 'does anyone know anything about crash investigation?'...is errrm, NO!!

It'll get sorted by the insurers where he will be invariably screwed over and have to live the rest of his life trying to pay over-inflated insurance premiums!! ;)

Let me get this straight then..if you're going downhill and there's a line of parked cars on the opposite side you always give way to cars coming up the hill..? I mean you as in "lillypiglet" As well as courtesy don't we also get taught clutch control and hill starts in our lessons? Should people who can't do these things really be out on their own? Do they always have to park facing down the hills? :)

The road in question wasn't a single track road..it was a normal road with cars parked..the guy going uphill was on the "wrong" side of the road..not the same thing at all.. :)

I never claimed it was. I merely pointed out where in the HC it states you should give way to drivers etc etc.

I'm sorry for answering your question. I won't bother next time.

Archived