Anyone on here know their stuff about crash investigations?

I never claimed it was. I merely pointed out where in the HC it states you should give way to drivers etc etc.

I'm sorry for answering your question. I won't bother next time.

You didn't this time.. :) you brought in an unrelated part of the HC.. you knew what was being discussed and just wanted to play pedant.. :)

15 meters in the dry is the stopping distance for a car with average tyres from 30mph. If this was in the wet his speed would have been less to stop that fast.

For a 20m slide, that would indicate a maxiumum dry road speed of about 37 mph, in the wet though it would be much lower and be under 30mph. I think you would have problems arguing illegal speed, although excessive speed for the road conditions (hazard, possibility of oncoming wrongside cars etc.)

If he hit you on your front corner and you were travelling then you would expect to be deflected into the parked cars. If there are no damaged cars then that would make your case stronger.

Get pcitures of the skidmarks once it's dried and measure the equivulent length from the safety of the pavement. Take a reputable witness as well to verify the measured distance.

I was stationary at the point of impact and no parked cars were affected. I am wondering weather the insurance people will be able to see this when viewing the damage on my car; surely they would be more damage(to both cars) if I was travelling also.

I'm not being funny but where in the HC? I've just had a quick look on the online version and can't see anyhting there..

That's what you asked.

You were answered. If it;s not the answer you wanted then perhaps you should have phrased the question better. You wanted to know. You were told. Now stop trolling.

My apologies to the OP but you've just met the insanity of the forum - people that would rather score points than actually help. I hope my posting has been of help but I can't be bothered with the twerps on here any more, so I won't be following up on this thread.

I try to give way to cars travailing up hill and I always give way to large vehicles travelling up hill. In a situation where someone is already on my side of the road I always give them priority that would come under defensive driving.

In the situation described in the OP the moving car is at fault, proving it is more difficult, photos of the scene and of the impact are always worth having. I carry a disposable camera in the car for such occasions although I have never needed it.

Recently, the following happened to me:

It was a wet day, not raining but the road was wet, when we were travelling(uphill) up a road; we reached a line of parked cars on our side, on what is a bit of a bend in the road; we slowed down as we approached the park cars to make sure there were no oncoming vehicles; there were no oncoming vehicles so we passed the parked cars and proceeded to drive up the road. As we were passing the parked cars we encounted an oncoming vehicle(travelling downhill); on seeing the oncoming vehicle we slowed right down, pulled in as much as we could before coming to a complete stop. The driver of the oncoming vehicle saw us but was driving far too fast, as he applied the brakes his wheels locked and his car slid about 15/20 yards into the offside front corner of our car, knocking our car backwards a few yards.

Our car was rendered undrivable after the impact,(possibly because the hydraulic steering was damaged)causing an obstruction in the road, but the other car was drivable after the impact because the driver parked the vehicle up to the curb. The driver of the car that hit us is adamant he wasn't speeding(gaffaw) and that we "tried to beat him" :rolleyes:

As there were no independant witnesses to this I am wondering weather the insurance investigation people will be able to tell that I was stationary at the moment of impact and that the other car was not, because I will be annoyed if this is put down as a so called "knock for knock".

Did you take photos of the scene and any evidence that might help you?

If not and you were on the wrong side of the road then maybe it doesnt look too good.

Was his side of the road clear?How many parked cars were there?

Archived