Do you ask guests to remove footwear to enter your home?

Having just had a £320 living room carpet fitted.

The Queen ain't putting her shoes on it !!

I'd just ask politely. Welcome your Majesty, shoes, carpet, ahem :hihi:

OT: Is £320 a lot for a room carpet ?

Considering the quality, we thought it was a nice purchase :-)

A friend of mine was recently at a house where the guests had removed their shoes. The subject turned to people who didn't remove shoes, and my pal went on and on about 'how rude, inconsiderate, wouldn't have it in my house, you would think seeing all the shoes on the front mat etc etc' looked down to the woman sitting next to her to see she had on her shoes!!!! Friend mortified and left........................!!! I always remove my shoes, even if the person says not too. I don't have shoes on in my home and don't wear them in others.

I had a tv engineer called one time and I asked him to take of his shoes, he did but said if the company rang me I was to say he had kept his shoes on.................'elf and safety issue!!! You couldn't make it up!!!!1

When I was selling a house once an Egyption looking chap came to view it and he took his shoes off outside the front door and left his shoes outside. I said it was ok to leave them on or at least place them inside, but he insisted. Must be a cultural thing, very polite of him if nothing else. Good job it wasn't raining.

Yes it's a cultural thing, covering Arabic and Asian countries from the Middle East to the Far East. It's just something you do in those countries and a good idea. I wish we did the same.

It might be an Islamic thing as well, not sure about that.

It's very rude to simply walk into someone's house in your shoes. I always ask if I should remove my shoes when I visit. I Really wonder how many people in Sheffield actually routinely wear shoes in their their homes. I suspect very few. And if so, who? All of those giving the standard silly answers in this thread., what is it about this subject that bothers you? If you are not interested, then why are you viewing it. Once again your standard childish answers would indicate to me that the whole subject makes you feel very uncomfortable, so you resort to diversion. Maybe you are henpecked husbands with overbearing wives who absolutely won't let you in the house in shoes. So your comments represent a compensatory reaction to your own situation. And no I don't wear shoes in the house, they come off at the door. Guests are free to choose. In my last house we had very expensive flooring and lived next to the beach so yes, all shoes came off at the door.

Those of you who have to remove shoes or who do so voluntarily, beware-----socks ! At one place I visited, my socks were so worn and dirty, Mine Host asked me to put my shoes back on !

Then, about a week later I received, anonymously, a pair of socks through the post.

Cheeky chuffs

I am in rented accomodation and the carpets are cream so I have got a no shoes policy as I want to ensure I get my full deposit back when I move out...although when we have had work men to fix cooker etc I havent enforced it..Its more with family/friends x

Archived