You can now get just about anything in a supermarket

Supermarkets will soon be able to sell legal advice in England and Wales, thanks to a change in the law.

But do we really want to discuss a dispute whilst picking through bruised apples to reach the best ones?

Would you get legal advice from Morrisons?

Supermarkets will soon be able to sell legal advice in England and Wales, thanks to a change in the law.

But do we really want to discuss a dispute whilst picking through bruised apples to reach the best ones?

Would you get legal advice from Morrisons?

It's an absurd move. Cashiers are not going to be involved in giving advice- so all that will happen is that harassed shoppers wil be fobbed-off with inadequate advice from less-trained (or untrained) employees covered by the shop's brandname.

What is the problem that the change is supposed to cure, anyway? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"!

The supermarkets themselves probably won't be the ones giving the legal advice at first - they'll refer clients to affiliated law firms under their brand name, essentially hiring lawyers from existing firms.

It's the supermarkets' buying power that will make their costs competitive. They'll be able to deliver x number of cases to a law firm, so they'll get a special "bulk" deal, whereas an individual approaching that same law firm would have to pay more for a one-off case.

Good point epiphany, but what will happen to individual law firms that cannot compete with the prices?

It seems supermarkets are just taking away every individual type of business. So we will have no choice but to get everything under one roof.

It seems supermarkets are just taking away every individual type of business. So we will have no choice but to get everything under one roof.

Well then consumers must vote more consciously with their feet and support local businesses wherever possible.

Government could help by offering tax relief to small and independent businesses.

With the threat of monopolies/oligopolies, there are two main schools of thought - one is to adopt a genuine free market approach (which we do not have) and open up competition as wide as possible, the other is to limit the size of companies by decree.

Good point epiphany, but what will happen to individual law firms that cannot compete with the prices?

Well then consumers must vote more consciously with their feet and support local businesses wherever possible.

Government could help by offering tax relief to small and independent businesses.

With the threat of monopolies/oligopolies, there are two main schools of thought - one is to adopt a genuine free market approach (which we do not have) and open up competition as wide as possible, the other is to limit the size of companies by decree.

I agree. It couldn't be that HM Government wants to avoid people obtaining proper legal advice, could it...?

I noticed in my local W H Smiths (in London) they now have a legal advice section. At the moment it consists of a few leaflets, a TV screen which is switched off and a phone which is not connected. However a poster says the phone will soon be connected to provide legal advice.

Not sure I would want to discuss my legal problems in the middle of the newspaper shop though, even if I did think the person on the other end was suitably qualified.

Archived