Advice re USA and travel money

Has anyone got any advice on the best/cheapest way to take 'money' to the usa?

Looking at taking around 2k spending money - other than a few hundred dollars should we take travellers cheques, Dollars or credit card?

we usually take american express travellers cheques for similar amounts, they (2 yrs ago admittedly last time) were accepted just like cash if you had your passport with you, and change given directly. we took mainly $100s rather than 50s and had about500$ cash.

Has anyone got any advice on the best/cheapest way to take 'money' to the usa?

Looking at taking around 2k spending money - other than a few hundred dollars should we take travellers cheques, Dollars or credit card?

Depends on how you view the risks. Travelers checks and credit cards can always be replaced but stolen or lost money not

Depends where you're going. I've been to NYC a couple of times and only took enough for taxi from the airport + a bit more in dollars. ($100 should do it). A lot of ATMs don't charge and can be found everywhere.

I wouldn't dream of taking travellers cheques. Think about it. When you set out to cash some in, you'll be carrying your passport and that's just another risk of losing it/getting mugged etc.

Depends where you're going. I've been to NYC a couple of times and only took enough for taxi from the airport + a bit more in dollars. ($100 should do it). A lot of ATMs don't charge and can be found everywhere.

I wouldn't dream of taking travellers cheques. Think about it. When you set out to cash some in, you'll be carrying your passport and that's just another risk of losing it/getting mugged etc.

ATMs in the NYC dont charge? Youre having a laugh! Average fee is about $2.50 to withdraw. If you have a HSBC acct and can find an HSBC atm, withdrawals will be free (at the ATM, there will fees for getting dollars from the UK side) because its the same bank.

Travellers checks are best and will be accepted anywhere. Some places may require a minimum spend depending on the size of the check as youll get cash back.

Also save yourself some cash & tolls and use the airtrain. Whether youve come in via Newark or JFK both will take you to Penn Station and you can grab a taxi right outside on 7th. It costs around $6 from the airport + the cost of transport from the local train station to Penn. (For example from JFK to Jamaica Trainstation you can get the LIRR or get the subway into NYC)

Take so much in cash say about $300 then take the rest on a pre paid debit card.

http://www.fairfx.com do a us$ pre paid Mastercard, just load it up with cash before you go and you just use it like you would a debit card, make purchases in shops or take cash out from a ATM machine. The exchange rate they offer usually bests any rate you would get on the high street.

Which if your banks charges you a fee everytime you use your regular debit card when overseas it should save your a bit as the $ pre paid card doesn't charge a fee on purchases. Spend $50 on a meal and just $50 gets debited. Of course a fee may well be payable for a ATM withdrawl.

if you go to thomas cook you can get an account its called a 'cash passport' i got it for my trip to NY it is basically like a current account without all the messing about,you can use it in shops and at atm's

Archived