Advice re USA and travel money

ATMs in the NYC dont charge? Youre having a laugh! Average fee is about $2.50 to withdraw. If you have a HSBC acct and can find an HSBC atm, withdrawals will be free (at the ATM, there will fees for getting dollars from the UK side) because its the same bank.

Travellers checks are best and will be accepted anywhere. Some places may require a minimum spend depending on the size of the check as youll get cash back.

Also save yourself some cash & tolls and use the airtrain. Whether youve come in via Newark or JFK both will take you to Penn Station and you can grab a taxi right outside on 7th. It costs around $6 from the airport + the cost of transport from the local train station to Penn. (For example from JFK to Jamaica Trainstation you can get the LIRR or get the subway into NYC)

Bank of America are going to charge 5 dollars for the use of their ATMs.

It's already attracted a lot of negative publicity

Isn't that awful ? how can they get away with that, I didn't think people used travelers checks anymore now C cards and ATM are more in use, i wouldn't be afraid to carry cash on me, chances are slim you'll get mugged, more people don't get mugged than do :)

Isn't that awful ? how can they get away with that, I didn't think people used travelers checks anymore now C cards and ATM are more in use, i wouldn't be afraid to carry cash on me, chances are slim you'll get mugged, more people don't get mugged than do :)

Someone gave a sound piece of afvice about the 5 dollar B of A charge.

Walk away from it. I dont use that bank anyway.

There' more a chance of falling victim to pickpockets if you're in NYC and using the transit systems than being mugged. If I'm using public transport in a big city and carryng a fair amount of cash I keep my wallet in the front pocket of my pants and keep my hand on it at all times.

I dont care either if anyone thinks I'm an old perv playing a little pocket pool :hihi:

My bank doesn't have any ATMs. (It's a federal bank, with headquarters in San Antonio, Tx and keeping the ATMs full in Alaska would be a bit of a problem.;))

If I get charged to use an ATM (and most ATMs do charge) the bank refunds the charges.

@the OP: A couple of hundred dollars in cash plus a card (Debit or credit ... A UK Visa or Mastercard debit card will work as a credit card in the US) should do - and if you're buying items in a shop, you will may well be able to get 'cash back' without an ATM charge.

The exchange rate is better and if you only take a couple of hundred dollars you probably won't be stuck with a lot of money to exchange (and lose on) when you get back.

Yeah it made a bit of news here... Its terrible, but when youre one of the largest banks in the country, you kind have a monopoly to control. Again - walk with your feet. I had an acct with BoA when I lived in Nashville, but closed it when moving back to NY. I used to bank with a local bank that only had about 10 branches in two counties, and my parents had used them since they moved to the area. Tellers knew me since I was like tiny as well. I miss that.

NatWest just recently introduced a policy if you dont get your wages paid into your acct, theyll only let you take money out of said acct from their ATMs. Bank card wont be valid at any other ATM (whether a fee or not) I think thats just as shady.

Take so much in cash say about $300 then take the rest on a pre paid debit card.

http://www.fairfx.com do a us$ pre paid Mastercard, just load it up with cash before you go and you just use it like you would a debit card, make purchases in shops or take cash out from a ATM machine. The exchange rate they offer usually bests any rate you would get on the high street.

Which if your banks charges you a fee everytime you use your regular debit card when overseas it should save your a bit as the $ pre paid card doesn't charge a fee on purchases. Spend $50 on a meal and just $50 gets debited. Of course a fee may well be payable for a ATM withdrawl.

Used one of these in Greece. Represent great value for money. ATM withdrawals cost 1.5 Euro per transaction if needed.

Obviously you'll need to check on the USA ATM fee

If going to the US travellers checks are pretty much accepted everywhere (even to non-tourist destinations) as its a valid form of payment.

thats exactly why we used them, even the smallest places accept them and give cash change back in our experience. you can reclaim them if stolen and get a guaranteed buy back rate if you dont use them depending on where you buy them. saying that we always have a credit card with plenty of limit on it for emergencies as well.

thats exactly why we used them, even the smallest places accept them and give cash change back in our experience. you can reclaim them if stolen and get a guaranteed buy back rate if you dont use them depending on where you buy them. saying that we always have a credit card with plenty of limit on it for emergencies as well.

Exactly much, much safer as it requires two signatures (one signed when issued and then once when payment made) and most places in the US will ask for ID with check.

America is a bit behind when it comes to using checks. We still like using for paying the rent, bills and the shopping.. It be hard to find a place that wont accept them

Archived