Advice re USA and travel money

My bank doesn't have any ATMs. (It's a federal bank, with headquarters in San Antonio, Tx and keeping the ATMs full in Alaska would be a bit of a problem.;))

If I get charged to use an ATM (and most ATMs do charge) the bank refunds the charges.

@the OP: A couple of hundred dollars in cash plus a card (Debit or credit ... A UK Visa or Mastercard debit card will work as a credit card in the US) should do - and if you're buying items in a shop, you will may well be able to get 'cash back' without an ATM charge.

The exchange rate is better and if you only take a couple of hundred dollars you probably won't be stuck with a lot of money to exchange (and lose on) when you get back.

I've always been a travelers check and credit card person. I've never used an ATM in my life.

If going to the UK I'll change a few thousand dollars for travelers checks first and then change about three hundred dollars for pounds at my bank to tide me over for the first 2-3 days in UK. I charge hotel stays on my credit card

Once in the UK I go to any bank and exchange the travelers checks for whatever I estimate I'll need for two days ahead..

It might sound complicated and somewhat cumbersome and involves a few visits to banks but it works well enough for me.

Archived