Food at the Harley, Glossop Road

harleysdiner

just wondering...

is "Gourmet Burger" an oxymoron?

This review from Tripadvisor suggests it is!

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186364-d561324-r118467807-Harley_Hotel-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

"Recently this place has been advertising everywhere (forums and such like) that they are doing gourmet burgers in the bar. I was in the area recently so popped in for a quick pint and a bite. It wasn't good.

I can't remember the exact name of the burger I ordered but it had blue cheese and chorizo on it (along with a beef burger of course). It was terrible, really bad! The chorizo was cut so thick that it dominated the taste, after a couple of bites I ended up pealing it all off and throwing it to the side. I quite like chorizo, but this wasn't sliced chorizo, it was like wedges of the stuff. Horrible; pungent, salty, chewy. Yuck!

After pealing away the chorizo I had another bite, the burger was undercooked! Now I'm not just talking pink in the middle here, I'm talking full on raw meat. It wasn't the taste that alerted me, it was the texture! I slung the burger on to the plate and left the rest. Still hungry I tried the accompanying fries and instantly spat it out again; they were covered in some sort of powdery flavoured salty crap, it tastes like they got a packed of Pringles, blended them and sprinkled them on the chips. Yuck!"

Hello avid forum-ers,

We call our burgers gourmet because they are handmade to our own secret recipe and are loaded with lovely toppings, served in a proper bun. They are not pre-made, flavourless patties slopped between overly sweetened bread with a sneeze of toppings!!

We're proud of our burgers, and think if you come down and had a try you would be pleasantly surprised!

This thread includes one bad review from tripadvisor, but two good reviews from robbie and lomaxkenisis. It can be easy to focus on the negative and assume that's the truth, but I can assure you our burgers are really great.

As ever, I would encourage you to come down and give them a go yourself before passing judgement :)

x:love:x

By the by, we've stopped putting the spice mix on our fries now as it wasn't to everyone's taste.

Archived