Food at the Harley, Glossop Road

harleysdiner

I rarely have the urge to go out for a burger. Many times, said wife will ask me, "what kind of thing do you fancy eating tonight?" and rarely have I said...

"ooh burger!" :banana:

Maybe it's an age thing? Maybe I'm just so fabulously wealthy that going out for a "burger" isn't what I fancy because it won't empty my bank account of enough money in one go?:confused:

Or maybe it's because I can make my own burgers with such ease, and yet without knowledge of Harley's "secret" recipe - and yet they always turn out ok.

I think it's more to do with the fact that if I'm going to go out for something to eat I'd rather have stuff that I don't get at home.

I tell you what though - I have to admire these folks at Harley's for having the brass neck to keep plugging their burgers when there is such a strong wave of opinion on here and elsewhere that their burgers are just not good. If they put as much effort into solving this quality issue then it will definitely be the best place in the universe to have a burger.

(but you'll never convince the guy from the Castle Market with his £1.40 bacon, onion and black pudding bap):hihi: for he is a connoisseur of a different kind!

Although the discount offer still ****es me off, I do have to stick up for The Harley a little.

I've not eaten there, I admit. I have however been there with mates on 2 occasions when they have. And they say the food was good.

I have eaten at the sister pub (Wick at both Ends) and the food has been very good every time. I'd be surprised if the food was considerably worse in The Harley.

The Harley's burgers are actually pretty good, and I'm a little confused as to why they're getting so much flak on here. They're far better, for example, than the ones served at Wetherspoons and the other big pub chains, and are a comparable price if not cheaper.

There's plenty choice for both meat eaters and veggies, the best one I've tried so far being the bean burger with halloumi. As for people saying they may not go "out" for a burger, I don't think that's really the point or the market the Harley's aiming at.

I've had their burgers on occasions where I've been out straight from work and want something cheap but tasty to eat - not when I've been going out purposefully for a meal - and have never been disappointed.

The Harley's burgers are actually pretty good, and I'm a little confused as to why they're getting so much flak on here. They're far better, for example, than the ones served at Wetherspoons and the other big pub chains, and are a comparable price if not cheaper.

There's plenty choice for both meat eaters and veggies, the best one I've tried so far being the bean burger with halloumi. As for people saying they may not go "out" for a burger, I don't think that's really the point or the market the Harley's aiming at.

I've had their burgers on occasions where I've been out straight from work and want something cheap but tasty to eat - not when I've been going out purposefully for a meal - and have never been disappointed.

Am not sure every one is having a go at the burgers, but more the Harleys self promotion on here, much like the Tap pub!

Let the customers post, and give their opinion, but repeated regular prompts from owners, staff and associates is unwelcome.

I have been to both venues many times .

thank you for your comments whiteroses and lomax!

If you notice, the few people that have posted who have actually eaten at The Harley are positive about our burgers. All the rest are from people speculating, or reading a bad review on trip advisor

(Oh, and BTW check out "attack of the Trip Advisors" on Monday 31st on Channel 4...it's about the wannabe Michael Winners hiding behind anonymously pseudonyms to shoot down the leisure industry!!)

As always, we welcome and take very seriously all comments good or bad from people who have tried our food.

x:love:x

• 1 month later...

Having been in The Harley for the first time in the early hours of Thursday morning I can honestly say that no matter how fantastic the burgers are I seriously could not eat anything in such a dirty place. I am all for independant local businesses, and eat out frequently in 'studenty' places such as the Place at Broomhill, but I could not eat in somewhere that stinks of pi$$ and has wallpaper peeling of the walls, and don't get me started on the toilets. Needless to say if I was (hypothetically) lunching there and had a child with me I would walk outside and hold them over a grate rather than subject them to those toilets. As previously said, probably an age thing, but I don't think I would have been impressed at any age. Hopefully the kitchens a bit cleaner than the bar!!!

I think it is fair to say that an unclean front of house normally leads to a very very unclean back of house, hence although encouragment to try this place for myself and ignore trip advisor because there very bad horrible people that want to do some form of injustice to a local business it just does't go like that, people hardly ever compliment when it's good people always compliment when it's bad always!! Still not tried it not sure i ever will!

Archived