Injecting water into meat to make it weigh more. Legal!

I cannot understand how artificially adding weight to meat to get more money out of you is legal. I put two pieces of bacon into the pan and within seconds, the water comes pouring out to leave the meat half the size it was before. Bacon from the butchers doesn't do this (at least it doesn't from my butchers).

What loop-hole do supermarkets use to get round this?

There should be a regulation requiring the label states "made with xxx grams pork per 100 grams product". Salami and other cured pork already has this labelling and its usually made with ~ 120grams of pork per 100 grams. That's because the meat dries out in the curing process.

Likewise properly cured bacon will be made with more than 100% pork and anything less would mean it had been artificially pumped up with water.

This is common practice in the East were prawns are injected with large quantities of water. The heavier the weight, the higher the price for the catch. Anyway, shellfish are considered to be the scum of the sea, living on the sea- bed, and feeding off the excrement of fish, so best to avoid.

Now that's what I call food for thought.

I think they are telling porkies (no pun intended) with this 10% water claim. I would say it is substantially more than this. You can tell by how much water is expelled when you introduce it to heat. The bacon shrinks to sometimes half the size of it was before. Disgusting. I like the dry cured bacon suggestion, I will ask for this next time.

This is common practice in the East were prawns are injected with large quantities of water. The heavier the weight, the higher the price for the catch. Anyway, shellfish are considered to be the scum of the sea, living on the sea- bed, and feeding off the excrement of fish, so best to avoid.

Now that's what I call food for thought.

Only by Jews I think.

Archived