Are parents allowed to gift their children who receive disability benefits?

No. I wrote that the value of the home WON'T be taken into account for CTB. Only other properties, savings, some other income etc, will. That's the same for ESA and CTB. If the daughter has low savings (under about £6,000) then she'll get full CTB and ESA. Someone could also get Carer's Allowance for providing at least 35 hours of care a week subject to some rules (eg carer's other income).

Use http://www.advicesheffield.org.uk/ to find a local advice service. It's best if the daughter goes, even if accompanied by you or her family, as no one will give confidential advice to someone on someone else's behalf. The person directly affected needs to be there to give full background information.

Thanks for your help, I'll offer to go with them which I'm sure they'll appreciate as I know they're anxious about it all. The daughter just gets DLA, what is ESA? Sorry I don't much about benefits.

Thanks for your help, I'll offer to go with them which I'm sure they'll appreciate as I know they're anxious about it all. The daughter just gets DLA, what is ESA? Sorry I don't much about benefits.

ESA is Employment and Support Allowance, a benefit for people who can't work. She may already be entitled to it but just not receiving it because she has never applied for it. It would be useful to ask the advice service about that. At the moment it's about £67 a week standard for a single person but there are higher rates for more diabled people. She'll also get her stamp paid for her pension. It sounds like she should be getting it now but maybe her parents are subsidising her living costs.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Illorinjured/DG_172014

Archived