Do women 'let it go' once married?

Do women take less care in their appearance once they are married or have secured a man? All too often they will put on weight, start wearing dowdy clothes and spend less time generally taking pride in their appearance. Then they wonder why their mans eyes start to stray. This is of course because he still finds attractive what he found attractive in his wife when he first became attracted to her. It just isnt there in wifey anymore.

Do you look at old pics of your wife and wonder what went wrong?

That's a huge generalistion. Some women fall into that trap, not helped by pregnancy (weight gain), looking after kids and having little or no time to focus on their appearances. However, I see more well groomed women of a certain age who have and continue to look after themselves with minging overweight beer bellied and balding partners than I do men who look fit with overweight partners. At the gym that I frequent, I would say that on the whole the women look a damn sight better than their male counterparts in the same age bracket. Furthermore, contrary to the OP, my husband reckons that I have never looked better, that's after 2 kids and 14 years of marriage.

Do women take less care in their appearance once they are married or have secured a man? All too often they will put on weight, start wearing dowdy clothes and spend less time generally taking pride in their appearance. Then they wonder why their mans eyes start to stray. This is of course because he still finds attractive what he found attractive in his wife when he first became attracted to her. It just isnt there in wifey anymore.

Do you think that wifey may also be looking at hubby thinking just the same!

Oh dear! :hihi:

Are you speaking from experience or just generalising?

I understand what you're saying and it's very true to an extent. It's not fair on your partner to 'let yourself go' once you're married, but I strongly believe this applies to men just as much as women. You should both make an effort to maintain yourself. That said, women who have had children may well put weight on which can be hard to shift, this is through no fault of their own, and aging takes its toll on all of us. Men are just as guilty of getting too comfortable and becoming lazy in their appearance. I think when this happens to you, instead of criticism or wandering eyes, gentle encouragement could go a long way. You could train together at the gym, pay for beauty treatments etc., there's lots of things you could do to help.

''Do women take less care in their appearance once they are married or have secured a man? All too often they will put on weight, start wearing dowdy clothes and spend less time generally taking pride in their appearance''

Quite possibly, but there again they have so much more work to do - it might help matters if men pulled their finger out and did there share of the housework and childminding - rather than bemoaning the fact it ''isnt there in wifey anymore''

As the previous post points out, I would think that ''wifey'' will be ''looking at hubby thinking just the same!'' and good on her!

To some extent, it could be a correlation rather than a connection; women tend to grow less obsessive about their appearance as they get older, and their married life tends to come after their single life (for obvious reasons).

A woman whose chief objective in life is to secure a husband, is quite likely to "let herself go" after having achieved it; after all, the need to look attractice to help secure said husband is no longer present. But huge numbers of women don't live their life in that manner.

As for personal experience, my current wife cares more about her appearance now than she did before we met; being convinced that someone can actually like who she is, has persuaded her that she is worth the effort. That's an example that runs directly counter to the "women let themselves go" thesis.

Do you think that wifey may also be looking at hubby thinking just the same!

They may be in some cases but generally probably not. It's generally accepted that men improve with age, but luckily for men, women are not so obsessed with / attracted by physical appearance anyway. A man has to bear the cross that nature made him fickle in this way all through his life.

How many women diet before their wedding day, to fit into that dress and look good for the pics, but can never get back into it again..

They may be in some cases but generally probably not. It's generally accepted that men improve with age, but luckily for men, women are not so obsessed with / attracted by physical appearance anyway. A man has to bear the cross that nature made him fickle in this way all through his life.

How many women diet before their wedding day, to fit into that dress and look good for the pics, but can never get back into it again..

Are you mad?? :hihi: Of course women care about their partner's appearance and physical attraction is a huge part of a relationship, regardless of gender.

Oh yes I 'let it go' once I had got my man, why wouldn't I ? :)

Archived