Water marked tiles

Grout doesn't seal the tiles - it stops water getting below them.

Go and moan at the tiler (and keep a record of all your complaints.)

If he wont do anything about it and if you are convinced he is at fault (but make sure he really is at fault) you could always take the case to the Small Claims Court.

Grout doesn't seal the tiles - it stops water getting below them.

Go and moan at the tiler (and keep a record of all your complaints.)

If he wont do anything about it and if you are convinced he is at fault (but make sure he really is at fault) you could always take the case to the Small Claims Court.

Oh dear, I dont fancy gettin in touch with the tiler, but needs must and all that, right I will give it a go. Thanks :)

Hi I think it said on the box grout joints in between tiles to seal tiles I have never heard of any floor tiles need anything else If it says on the box made in China its possible what next Good luck Spidsr 1

I found one of the labels off the box... it says

'please ensure that all tiles are sealed using porcelain impregnator/sealer before fixing. Please then ensure that after fixing, tiles are completely cleaned and then re-apply porcelain impregnator/sealer before grouting. This will protect the finish of your wall & floor and prevent any possible staining. Always follow manufacturers instructions.'

Oh well, it's done now, I think I should maybe take it up with b&q.... don't reaaly wanna contact the tiler as he was an arse, and with b&q being a massive company I think I stand more chance with them..! thanx 4 your help.

I used to be a tiler. Procelain tiles are porus and need seeling before putting down. That is unless they are very expensive Italian ones that have more air compounded out of them to make them vitrified (less porus).

From your post, I am guessing you got these tiles from B&Q? These are made in China and whilst they are good tiles, they are about half the price of Italian porcelain and not vitrified.

I have fittted B&Q porcelain and before you even fix them, each tiles needs to sealed on the edge and side that will be showing with a porcelain tile sealer. You have to apply it with a sponge and it takes ages, which is probably why your tiler didn't do it. Also a tiler will charge extra for this, an avarage size room would cost about £1000 if you want the job doing properly.

You can't blame B&Q because it clearly states on the box that they should be sealed prior to fixing. It's you tilers fault, although I doubt you get him back.

Unfortunately, once the tile pores are pregnated, there is nothing you can do.

He should have also applied another 2 coats of sealer to the grout and tiles once fixed.

many porcelain tiles(polished) come with a transit wax on them.this must be removed with warm water prior to grouting.He may well have sealed them but hes probably sealed the wax into the tile.There are products out there to rectify the situation.the tile must be stripped back to basics then restart the sealing process.polished porcelain are not particularly porous but the polishing process leaves tiny holes on the tile surface which leave them open to staining just underneath the surface if they are not sealed.this will leave the tiles with a hazy dull finish.try the tilers forum.you will get good advice on products required to rectify the problem. oh and BnQ tiles are a pain.worked with them loads of times.differing sizes,shades,poor quality etc.sometimes pays to buy a better product than pay extra labour to make the product right

many porcelain tiles(polished) come with a transit wax on them.this must be removed with warm water prior to grouting.He may well have sealed them but hes probably sealed the wax into the tile.There are products out there to rectify the situation.the tile must be stripped back to basics then restart the sealing process.polished porcelain are not particularly porous but the polishing process leaves tiny holes on the tile surface which leave them open to staining just underneath the surface if they are not sealed.this will leave the tiles with a hazy dull finish.try the tilers forum.you will get good advice on products required to rectify the problem. oh and BnQ tiles are a pain.worked with them loads of times.differing sizes,shades,poor quality etc.sometimes pays to buy a better product than pay extra labour to make the product right

Aww thanx 4 your advice, I seem 2 be havin a bittle more luck with them now, yesterday I mopped the floor with white vinegar and hot water, then got one of those half yellow/half green sponge scouring things and scrubbed the floor. It took 2 hours, and a very bad back, but it seems to have stripped everything off, including the water marks. The trouble started when I painted the ceiling and some paint got through the cloth and sucked into the tile. And as you say, they are porous so I was left with a stain with little holes in. Yes b&q tiles are rubbish, they sent out different batch numbers, silly me, automatically assumed they would be ok, never even crossed my mind, then the tiler laid them, then told me after that they were different batch numbers. Which was not his fault I know, but all the same...

Thankyou so so much, I will defo look on the tilers forum, thankyou for giving me some help..!

I used to be a tiler. Procelain tiles are porus and need seeling before putting down. That is unless they are very expensive Italian ones that have more air compounded out of them to make them vitrified (less porus).

From your post, I am guessing you got these tiles from B&Q? These are made in China and whilst they are good tiles, they are about half the price of Italian porcelain and not vitrified.

I have fittted B&Q porcelain and before you even fix them, each tiles needs to sealed on the edge and side that will be showing with a porcelain tile sealer. You have to apply it with a sponge and it takes ages, which is probably why your tiler didn't do it. Also a tiler will charge extra for this, an avarage size room would cost about £1000 if you want the job doing properly.

You can't blame B&Q because it clearly states on the box that they should be sealed prior to fixing. It's you tilers fault, although I doubt you get him back.

Unfortunately, once the tile pores are pregnated, there is nothing you can do.

He should have also applied another 2 coats of sealer to the grout and tiles once fixed.

Thankyou, yes you are exactly right, it said on box that they needed sealing, unfortunately me and tiler fell out, he told me he'd sealed them, I had a feeling he hadn't but wasn't there when he said he did so can't prove it. And he was an arse so dont want him in my house, or I may hit him with something heavy, take the tiles up, and put him underneath..! I seem to be having a little more luck, I have managed to strip the water marks off, with a green scouring pad, took 2 hours, but they look ok, now I have the painstaking task of sealing them without it getting on the grout, and as you say, the edges won't be sealed. If it was you would you seal them now i've stripped them or in your opinion is it a bit too late..? :(

Archived