I'm suprised at Derek Hatton's attitude towards "overweight" people.

If anyones wondering who Derek Hatton is, he's that notorious union loony leftie back in the eighties that fell out with Neil Kinnock.

Any way, I can't find a handy link but Derek Hatton has been quite outspoken recently about overweight/obese people and how they are a burden on the NHS and the taxpayer. He considers overwight people "irresponsible" and a "disgrace"; thats the sort of language he uses on the matter.

People come in all shapes and sizes, so isn't having a derogatory attitude towards folk purely because of their physicality akin to racism and therefore quite unbecoming of an old leftie like him?

Fat people are only fat out of choice - you aren't black etc out of choice! It's fine to have a pop at smokers and drunks - It's just the same going for the fatties... Not all smokers need excessive NHS assistance, not all drunks do, and naturally many fatties won't either, but the excessively fat will drain resources... Understand that there will be a tax bought in for treat foods soon anyways... Probably result in a spate of home baking, but the UK needs to lose weight, it's just how it is! More cycling to work, more walks in the countryside and less sitting in a car will do wonders too!

I think Hatton was having a snide go at Nick Griffin.

This was in the Guardian yesterday;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/oct/10/diabetes-the-epidemic

Hatton was a numpty but I still laugh at a joke he told at the Festival of the 10th Summer in Manchester 25 years ago. He walked on stage to boos and said "Ron Atkinson has just asked at the box office how much it is to come in. The woman said a tenner so Ron said "I'll give you twenty"".

Fat people are only fat out of choice - you aren't black etc out of choice! It's fine to have a pop at smokers and drunks - It's just the same going for the fatties... Not all smokers need excessive NHS assistance, not all drunks do, and naturally many fatties won't either, but the excessively fat will drain resources... Understand that there will be a tax bought in for treat foods soon anyways... Probably result in a spate of home baking, but the UK needs to lose weight, it's just how it is! More cycling to work, more walks in the countryside and less sitting in a car will do wonders too!

I don't have a car! I have disabilities which make it difficult for me to walk (not weight related...motorcycle related)....I had a lap band put in in 1997..in an effort to lose my excess weight...and it nearly killed me. Mmmm....fat out of choice...you are grossly uninformed aren't you about the reasons for obesity.

So, they are planning to tax my comfort foods are they....does this face look bothered...and yes...I do make a good cake. Cake it is then :hihi:

I don't have a car! I have disabilities which make it difficult for me to walk (not weight related...motorcycle related)....I had a lap band put in in 1997..in an effort to lose my excess weight...and it nearly killed me. Mmmm....fat out of choice...you are grossly uninformed aren't you about the reasons for obesity.

So, they are planning to tax my comfort foods are they....does this face look bothered...and yes...I do make a good cake. Cake it is then :hihi:

No, not misinformed... Many people with restricted mobility eat less than they did when they were more mobile - some continue to eat what they did before and the weight plonks on... I'm in the same boat, and I can be honest about why I am fat... I choose to eat as I enjoy food, rather than eat small amounts that would be more suited to someone less mobile - therefore the fat is a choice...

If anyones wondering who Derek Hatton is, he's that notorious union loony leftie back in the eighties that fell out with Neil Kinnock.

Any way, I can't find a handy link but Derek Hatton has been quite outspoken recently about overweight/obese people and how they are a burden on the NHS and the taxpayer. He considers overwight people "irresponsible" and a "disgrace"; thats the sort of language he uses on the matter.

People come in all shapes and sizes, so isn't having a derogatory attitude towards folk purely because of their physicality akin to racism and therefore quite unbecoming of an old leftie like him?

His prejudice is intense. He obsessively engages in petty political point scoring, but invariably fails in these attempts to pass off the bigotry which drives him as a coherent and logical outlook. What he believes are salient political points, appear to more balanced people as confused and irrelevant ramblings.

And I'm not keen on Derek Hatton either! :D

It's all to do with the possibility of a 'fat tax' on unhealthy food, it's already been introduced in Denmark and France look like following suit.

Do you eat healthy food?

I eat salads, but most of the food I eat is dead. Cooked, too. Difficult to describe a slice off a dead cow's arse as being 'healthy'.

You wouldn't be trying to deflect attention away from the dubious activities of our extremely popular government per chance?

Do you eat healthy food?

I eat salads, but most of the food I eat is dead. Cooked, too. Difficult to describe a slice off a dead cow's arse as being 'healthy'.

I'm not condoning his outburst only mentioning what it was in connection with. The health of a food type comes from the nutrients it posseses though doesn't it not from its place on the animal when it was alive.

I eat a lot of unhealthy food over the course of each year but i eat a good deal of healthier foods.

Archived