I'm suprised at Derek Hatton's attitude towards "overweight" people.

Maybe companies should sack people who are clinically obese? That would make them lose weight!

I know this works, because it happens in my line of work. There's a compulsory health check every four years and if your BMI is in the obese range you have 4 months to lose weight and get retested. Fail that and you're out of work. I've known several people who have failed first time and each has lost weight and passed the second time.

Maybe companies should sack people who are clinically obese? That would make them lose weight!

I know this works, because it happens in my line of work. There's a compulsory health check every four years and if your BMI is in the obese range you have 4 months to lose weight and get retested. Fail that and you're out of work. I've known several people who have failed first time and each has lost weight and passed the second time.

It doesn't take much to get into the BMI clinical obese range. The problem with weight loss and maintenance is simply that most people do not have the self-discipline or will power to lose the weight in the first place, via healtier eating and exercise. People want a quick fix solution, hence the plethora of threads you see on here asking for diets that work. The best and most effective long term diet is to eat less and exercise more, it is very simple and not rocket science but does require permanent lifestyle changes which is where people fail as they are simply unable to stop indulging themselves and get off their backsides and exercise. There will be medical conditions and some medications which make weight loss incredibly difficult, however, those who are really determined to get into a healthy weight range and maintain it, do.

It never ceases to amaze me how many overweight people sit there bemoaning their weight whilst quaffing back the booze, stuffing their faces with high fat and high sugar foods and have a lifestyle where they drive everywhere and/or use public transport and complain that they feel too fat to join a gym/exercise class.

That is moving in the direction of taking a similar approach to over eating as to substance use.

It seems overly intrusive at first glance, but I suppose if the employer is paying a decent wage it is fair enough. Serious obesity is not that different - in terms of it's impact - from chronic misuse of drugs or alcohol. They both cause cognitive/physical impairment and steadily deteriorating health, all of which will impact on attendance and efficiency.

Of course, not many employers would give workers who fail drugs tests a chance to take another one later, even if they were only occasional moderate users with no evidence of it impacting on their work.

That doesn't take into account people level of fitness, many high level sports people are obese.

How would it work if you had someone such as a rugby player who was heavily built but very fit, and someone who happened to be very slim but did no excercise?

What next, why not sack people with ginger hair, or people who are going grey. Not everyone is perfect, and one day as we all get older it becomes harder to keep fit, or excercise not to mention the fact you may become ill and find it harder to move around.

Obese people are a very easy target

That doesn't take into account people level of fitness, many high level sports people are obese.

How would it work if you had someone such as a rugby player who was heavily built but very fit, and someone who happened to be very slim but did no excercise?

What next, why not sack people with ginger hair, or people who are going grey. Not everyone is perfect, and one day as we all get older it becomes harder to keep fit, or excercise not to mention the fact you may become ill and find it harder to move around.

Other means of measuring body fat can easily be employed, the BMI is very crude and one that's used because it's so quick to 'calculate'.

My father was recently in the NGH and there was a nurse on his ward who must have been one and a half times bigger than Hattie Jacques. It was an astonishing sight and her size must compromise her mobility and general fitness and, therefore, ability to do her job. Should the NHS whose professionals are constantly banging on about weight, employ morbidly obese people? She must have weighed close to 30 stone in my estimation.

Agreed, not everyone is perfect, but hair colour and age are things that we have no control over. Weight is something that we can control (health conditions and meds aside).

Is that because they're a lot bigger?:hihi:

Of course, not many employers would give workers who fail drugs tests a chance to take another one later, even if they were only occasional moderate users with no evidence of it impacting on their work.
What employer would want to give such a person a second chance?

Archived