Relationship breakdown - advice needed

It is possible to have accounts at different addresses with utility companies. Just because she moved out probably doesn't mean she was automatically taken off the account, after all somebody has to agree to be the account holder.

If the account was in joint names that might explain the request for a contribution. Maybe in the eyes of the court it would be seen as reasonable, despite one party not being a resident in the property.

I certainly wouldn't take anything read on this forum as legal advice as to any court involvement.

She offered to pay the FULL amount of the utility bills that were due just after she had left. The family are demanding she pays ALL the bills that have accumulated since then, despite there only being him living there on his own. Surely if there is proof she left, that he should be responsible? They aren't even demanding she pays half, they want all of it?

She offered to pay the FULL amount of the utility bills that were due just after she had left. The family are demanding she pays ALL the bills that have accumulated since then, despite there only being him living there on his own. Surely if there is proof she left, that he should be responsible? They aren't even demanding she pays half, they want all of it?

Tell them to go forth and multiply in short jerky movements.......but in smaller words :hihi:

Its not even like he's skint, they've both just received rather a large chunk of money from the sale of the house! He got all the furniture, he also cleared their joint bank account (grrr!) yet he's still demanding more. He just can't accept that she had the courage to walk away from him after all those years.

I think she needs to get some advice on this from a CAB, or a local Advice Centre. Which bills are they? Council tax & utilities?

I am not sure but I think joint names means joint liabilities. Once of my friends was in a similar position a few years ago with the Council tax bills. She moved out of her and her exes house. She then registered for C tax at her new address, and they sent her bills for the previous place- he had 'disappeared' and she easy to find!

She needs to try and find proof of her new address and when she moved out of the home. Also, has she got proof of the change of account details? E.g, when my ex transferred the Virgin account to me, he & I had to sign something...

I know this must be distressing for her as it is dragging up old memories, but some good advice may help....

Good luck!

Archived