Gilbert Stanley!

jamesh2o

Hi Everyone, I recently found out that my Grandfather used to work at Gilbert Stanley on Brightside Lane.

But after all my efforts i can't seem to find out any information about it ( it's not even on PictureSheffield ).

Does anyone have any details / pictures / links etc so that i can find out what kind of business it was etc.

Thanks James

Hi James - they were evidently in the scrap metal business. The 1911 census return shows the 4 year-old Gilbert as the son of "Robert Stanley, scrap dealer" of 436 Brightside Lane. The 1925 Kelly's Directory shows "Robert Stanley, cart owner" at this address, and by 1942 young Gilbert had taken over the family business, as this year's directory shows "Gilbert Stanley, scrap iron dealer" at 436 & 438 Brightside Lane. The next directory I have is dated 1968, by which time this address was no longer listed, nor was the firm (though two scrap metal firms are shown elsewhere in Sheffield as "George Clifford Stanley" of Coleridge Road and "J. Stanley" of Liverpool Street).

Gilbert Stanley evidently died aged 66 in 1973. In fact his dad lived to a good age and so might have kept an experienced eye on the business until he died aged 84 in 1965. It was an old-established family business - Gilbert's grandfather Robert Stanley Snr. appears in the 1881 census return as a Manchester-born "metal broker" of Jamaica Street.

Hi Ya Hillsbro, THANK YOU! So much for the information - it gives me abit of an insight to what my Grandfather Charlie Scarborough once did, and also the reason why he used to walk every where and for miles all around sheffield. Sincerely James

Hi James - glad to help. I just looked for Charlie in online resources. I don't know his date of birth but the 1911 census return shows a two year-old Charles Albert Scarborough living with his parents not far from the Stanleys' yard, at 460 Brightside Lane. If this was your grandfather and you don't have access to the 1911 census, PM me an email address and I'll send a JPEG of the census page.

Hi just talking to my wife about this thread because I know she lived in Stanleys yard at 434 and her uncle Eric, Gladis and 4 kids lived in 436 Eric worked for Stanleys. she says Stanleys office was at front and they lifed in back and upstairs and a lady called mrs bush worked in the office.needs must in them days. can you see anybody doing that these days.

Archived