Are pavements the new car parks?

There are plenty of roads that are pavement parked on both sides, or on one side for some of the road and then it swaps over.

Near me is a persistent offender who almost wholly blocks the pavement - instead of walking in the road with my dog, I walk over the front garden. They've planted tiny things that I assume in ten year's time will be a hedge that will prevent me doing this, but for now...

:loopy:Thanks Michael,i would love to be able to live on a road where i could park all on the road.The other problem is my road is used for shoppers parking and nursery staff using it for parking.

The pavement is wide opp where i park and i really cant see why people use a narrow side when they can see its hard to negotiate pedestrians never mind prams,why choose to step out into the road off a pavement when the one opp is clear it just baffles me.

People should be showing children good road sesnse so what do they do tell em to walk onto the road instead of walking on a pavement thats not blocked huh:loopy:

My original post was aimed at the idiots who park on the pavement when the road is plenty wide enough to park at the kerbside, but they still insist on bumping up onto the pavement just to be more out of the way than ever. I know narrow streets are a different matter but thats another issue. I find it also incredible that if i was to drive across the pavement to park on my garden without a drop kerb I would be told by the council I cannot drive across the pavement, but I can park half of my car on it without anything being said. I also didnt expect so many replies to this post!

My original post was aimed at the idiots who park on the pavement when the road is plenty wide enough to park at the kerbside, but they still insist on bumping up onto the pavement just to be more out of the way than ever. I know narrow streets are a different matter but thats another issue. I find it also incredible that if i was to drive across the pavement to park on my garden without a drop kerb I would be told by the council I cannot drive across the pavement, but I can park half of my car on it without anything being said. I also didnt expect so many replies to this post!
Another issue I have is cars parked facing the wrong way at night, it is illegal to park at night facing the oncoming traffic yet the police do nothing about it.

If you want to write off an old car and claim whiplash compo just run into a vehicle that is parked illegaly at night, you can't lose, as it is facing the wrong way, the other parked vehicle is automaticaly in the wrong just to make your case stronger call the police say you're injured and they will have to issue a summons.

The OP should have asked, 'are pavements the new roads'.

Cyclists (including police), mobility scooters, even segways (but they have been challenged in court and forced to ride on road with insurance etc.)

There are cycle lanes all over the place yet they are rarely used and usualy have vehicles parked on them.

Saw a mother ignoring the cycle lane and riding down Bramhall Lane on the pavement, to make matters worse she was ringing her bell for pedstrians to get out of her way.

Archived