Friend with depression

Ive got this friend who has had a really hard time recently. So much so that hes hit a sort of dip in his life and is now being looked after by the GP. Hes also getting some councilling for his problems but that dosent start for another week or so.

Anyhow, hes off work with it and has sent in his sick notes to his employer but the other day he got a phone call from them asking if he could go in.

He cant because most of his day is spent sleeping due to the meds from the doc but work are insisting.

His partner put her foot down and said he cant come in for now so they have decided they are going to visit him at home.

His partner said that this isnt a good idea (hes in a real mess at the moment and needs no more stress) but work have insited.

So they are coming round to see him at home dispite his oh telling them they shouldnt. Now thequestion is

Can they do this?

Can they just turn up and demand to see him?

Can he refuse to see them?

Its causing him a lot of addes stress at the moment so any advice would be great.

Ta :)

I had sort of the same problem when I had a breakdown 20 years ago...work were phoning me up to (as they put it) 'get the details from the horse's mouth'.

It really made me feel worse and my friend contacted my GP who phoned my employer (NHS) and told them to liaise with HIM if they wanted any more info and that he would personally see to it that anyone who harrassed me would be out searching for another job by the time he'd finished with them.

I have a friend who is currently undergoing intensive treatment for cancer of the breast, lung and brain and our managers (NHS again) are constantly contacting her to arrange meetings and pestering for a return to work date!

It's absolutely disgusting....get in touch with his GP/Consultant and ask for their help and I hope he comes out the other side stronger.

Thanks, ill pass that on.

The really crap thing is he is desperate to get back to work but all this is making it a lot harder.

Today for example he (again) got 2 letters from work.

One was recored delivery and the other wasnt. Both identical and both saying hes been a bad boy for not sending in his sick note.

Which he did and they HAVE recieved:loopy:

I would recomend a gentle letter to the employer reminding them that depression is a recognised illness and discrimination againt him is an offence.

And pointing out his eagerness to return once well enough to.

I agree with this, and perhaps enclose a leaflet relating to depression and mental illness, it is disgusting that he is being teated this way. I wish him well with this problem and also hope he feels better soon.

I think this is out of order. When a person is mentally very fragile the last thing they need is for their employer to seemingly disbelieve them, and worse still demand to visit the house to check things out. I know they're concerned about their bottom line, but genuine health concerns should trump that!

I would recomend a gentle letter to the employer reminding them that depression is a recognised illness and discrimination againt him is an offence.

And pointing out his eagerness to return once well enough to.

How are they discriminating against him? At any company where someone is off sick long term the employer has every right to send someone round to see them.

While he's not at work the workload must be increasing for his colleagues so it's perfectly reasonable for them to get some indication of when your friend is likely to return to work.

The employer has a duty of care and they should be seen to be visiting the employee if they won't go in. They need to be able to understand how the employee is now, if there is anything the business can do to help, what adjustments may need to be made when the employee comes back to work, when this may be, etc.

They will - depending on the company size - also need to arrange for someone to be brought in to cover the workload for the duration of the illness.

If they have the best of intentions the employee should be made to feel at ease and it should be explained exactly why this visit is taking place.

If the employee feels this is not how it seems to be, they should get in touch with their local Union Rep or HR contact.

Archived