Questions for drivers.

Right a few questions for drivers. I know what I do but what is actually correct and do we all do it.

At a crossroads with a car opposite and both with a give way line who has priority? Does it depend on which way each of you is turning or who arrived first?

At a 4 way traffic light controlled junction what should you do if turning right? What happens if there are cars already waiting to turn right? Do you join the queue if there is room to fully cross the stop line? At what point do you not join the queue waiting to turn right?

Taking the third exit of a roundabout when the exit is blocked, where do you wait?

Right a few questions for drivers. I know what I do but what is actually correct and do we all do it.

At a crossroads with a car opposite and both with a give way line who has priority? Does it depend on which way each of you is turning or who arrived first?

The only time there would be a conflict is if at least one driver is turning right in which case I believe it depends on who arrived first.

At a 4 way traffic light controlled junction what should you do if turning right? What happens if there are cars already waiting to turn right? Do you join the queue if there is room to fully cross the stop line? At what point do you not join the queue waiting to turn right?

If I can move forwards into the centre and be clear of the traffic light stop line then I do. If I can't then I wait until I can so as to avoid straddling that line if the lights change.

Taking the third exit of a roundabout when the exit is blocked, where do you wait?

Assuming that you've already joined the roundabout?

If so, then I'd wait before blocking the entrance to the roundabout, signalling that I intended to leave, ideally in the left most lane, although that might depend on when you see that the exit isn't clear and where you joined the roundabout.

for the traffic light question, only enter the junction if you can exit it. you shouldnt cross the line to join the queue. the lights could change and your now stuck being n obstruction in the middle of the junction.

That's wrong. That would mean that no one moves forward into the pre turn position (as they can't yet exit) and that usable gaps are then missed.

1.If both cars are going straight across then there's no issue.If I'm turning right I wait until the cars going straight ahead or turning to their left have gone then I proceed if it's safe..if turning left then I proceed when the main road is clear enough for me to do so whilst making sure that any other driver isn't going to clash with me..

2. If the light is green I'll cross the line and join the queue so long as the road that I'm joining hasn't backed up to the extent that I'll be blocking the junction when their lights turn green..

3.if the exit is blocked then I wait leaving enough room for the people entering the roundabout from the previous entrance to pass in front of me..

Archived