Questions for drivers.

treat them both the same in my book. why would i want to enter a junction knowing i could end up parked in the middle of it when the lights have changed.

So long as the road you're entering isn't blocked then the amber part of your traffic light sequence will give you time to clear the junction..

Were we talking about yellow box junctions or just traffic light junctions in general..? Yellow boxes are a different animal...

As far as i'm aware, he was talking about box junctions. Bit unfortunate really as the link he posted was an Irish one and has nothing to do with UK rules.

Just re-read my post and need to clarify - you can enter a box junction and wait to turn right providing the only reason you can't turn is because of oncoming traffic

treat them both the same in my book. why would i want to enter a junction knowing i could end up parked in the middle of it when the lights have changed.

Because as Cyclone said above, if you don't move forward of the Stop line, when the light goes to red, you'll just have to stay where you are and you'll NEVER get round.

As far as i'm aware, he was talking about box junctions. Bit unfortunate really as the link he posted was an Irish one and has nothing to do with UK rules.

Just re-read my post and need to clarify - you can enter a box junction and wait to turn right providing the only reason you can't turn is because of oncoming traffic

The box junction bit isn't clear really in the OP...but yes I agree,so long as the only reason you can't turn is because of oncoming cars then you can enter the junction..

you do realise that Amber means stop dont you?

you can only procede through amber if you have already crossed the line, or if it would be dangerous for you to slam on brakes to stop

Amber doesn't mean stop - it means stop if you can do so safely.

And once you're over the stop line, you ignore the traffic lights anyway.

Perhaps you should have some refresher lessons?

you do realise that Amber means stop dont you?

you can only procede through amber if you have already crossed the line, or if it would be dangerous for you to slam on brakes to stop

Dont be daft. Everyone knows that once the light turns red you have a couple of milliseconds grace to go through.

so i was correct? if your exit is blocked then dont enter the junction.

Right a few questions for drivers. I know what I do but what is actually correct and do we all do it.

At a crossroads with a car opposite and both with a give way line who has priority? Does it depend on which way each of you is turning or who arrived first?

Neither person has right of way. Once someone turns onto the main road they will have right of way. Of course if both turn on at the same time it gets interesting, so some anticipation as to what is likely to happen is important.

At a 4 way traffic light controlled junction what should you do if turning right? What happens if there are cars already waiting to turn right? Do you join the queue if there is room to fully cross the stop line? At what point do you not join the queue waiting to turn right?

If I can fully cross the line I do so. The offence at a red light is crossing the stop line, not waiting in the junction area after the lights changed

Taking the third exit of a roundabout when the exit is blocked, where do you wait?

Define blocked? If I have to wait temporarily (eg there is a pelican crossing further up that hasn't cleared) I'll wait in lane with a gap so joining traffic can cross over the queue. trouble is some toerag will go round me to fill the gap...

If it's blocked for longer, I'll pick another exit and park up, or find a diversion if one exists. Diversions in Sheffield are easy - highlands of Scotland can mean a three hour diversion, or a two hour wiat for an accident to be removed... decisions decisions.

Archived