Questions for drivers.

so because your parked in a junction the oncoming traffic has to now wait for you to get out of their way.

why put yourself in their way to begin with? its like pushing into a queue.

Err, no, the lights change, you move, nobody is blocked...

You can drive right?

wow Saxon, i mention this often in posts. if your tagging your posts with your business details remember that every post you make reflects your business.

so far you have told the thread that its fine to go through amber, when some of us have been around long enough to remember the

public safety adverts from the 70's.

i will simplify it for you.

dont enter a junction unless its save to do so. dont do anything in your vehicle that is likely to harm anyone else apart from yourself.

entering a junction without knowing you can safely exit it does not satisfy that simple rule that has kept me alive for a whole load of years.

Are you claiming that a driving instructor (and everyone else on this thread) is wrong, and that you're correct?

wow Saxon, i mention this often in posts. if your tagging your posts with your business details remember that every post you make reflects your business.

Absolutely. And I'm right, you're wrong - simple as that!

When did you last read the Highway Code (link here if you don't want to waste money on buying a hard copy). And this means the UK version, not the Irish version you related a previous answer to.

For your education -

Rule 174

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

Rule 175

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

(my bold in both cases)

Neither of these rules are contrary to anything I have stated above.

And a box junction without yellow lines would presumably be even more relaxed at you entering and positioning to turn right!

Just to be pedantic, if it hasn't got yellow lines its isn't a box junction ;)

But I know what you mean

Some interesting replies. I wasn't talking about a box junction just a normal traffic light controlled 4 way junction (that probably has a proper shorter name that I can't think of! :) ).

As a fourth question then what should you do at a 4 way traffic light controlled junction (not box/yellow crossed lines junction) if you are going straight on but you can't get all the way across because of traffic?

With the roundabout, are you always supposed to get as far round as you can without blocking any entry points if your exist is temporarily blocked? That is what I thought and seems to be the general consensus.

As a fourth question then what should you do at a 4 way traffic light controlled junction (not box/yellow crossed lines junction) if you are going straight on but you can't get all the way across because of traffic?

Stay at the Stop line but if you see traffic at the other side starting to move forward, and you anticipate you can get all the way across having anticipated their movement, then go

With the roundabout, are you always supposed to get as far round as you can without blocking any entry points if your exist is temporarily blocked? That is what I thought and seems to be the general consensus.

Yes

Some interesting replies. I wasn't talking about a box junction just a normal traffic light controlled 4 way junction (that probably has a proper shorter name that I can't think of! :) ).

For your 4th question if the road infront is blocked then I usually don't proceed unless I can see that traffic is moving and will most likely have cleared in enough time for me to cross the junction...

Stay at the Stop line but if you see traffic at the other side starting to move forward, and you anticipate you can get all the way across having anticipated their movement, then go

Again that was what I thought. What is the purpose of a box junction then? Does it just enforce this point and make it a requirement rather than just a thing you should do unless you are a selfish moron? :D

Archived