Questions for drivers.

Again that was what I thought. What is the purpose of a box junction then? Does it just enforce this point and make it a requirement rather than just a thing you should do unless you are a selfish moron? :D

A box junction is one that shouldn't be blocked...and is usually in a high traffic area where blocking it would cause huge disruption..

Some interesting replies. I wasn't talking about a box junction just a normal traffic light controlled 4 way junction (that probably has a proper shorter name that I can't think of! :) ).

As a fourth question then what should you do at a 4 way traffic light controlled junction (not box/yellow crossed lines junction) if you are going straight on but you can't get all the way across because of traffic?

Personally if I realise that I can't clear the stop line on the other side (or level with that point) I'll wait.

With the roundabout, are you always supposed to get as far round as you can without blocking any entry points if your exist is temporarily blocked? That is what I thought and seems to be the general consensus.

I'd have thought so, otherwise you're going to be an obstruction to other people using the roundabout.

Again that was what I thought. What is the purpose of a box junction then? Does it just enforce this point and make it a requirement rather than just a thing you should do unless you are a selfish moron? :D

Exactly. And I think it means you can be given 3 points and a fine if you enter it when you can't exit it.

A box junction is one that shouldn't be blocked...and is usually in a high traffic area where blocking it would cause huge disruption..

Yes but the general opinion seems to be that on a normal junction you wouldn't enter and block it anyway. So I guess it just enforces that point to people who would be tempted to block it otherwise and would be happy to block a normal junction.

Precisely that

Yes but the general opinion seems to be that on a normal junction you wouldn't enter and block it anyway. So I guess it just enforces that point to people who would be tempted to block it otherwise and would be happy to block a normal junction.

The difference is the fine you can get for blocking a proper box junction...it may be unsocial to block an ordinary junction but not an offence,in it's own right anyway..

I'm glad I started this thread now. I'm already doing what most people consider to be correct and is mostly backed up by the highway code. I was curious as you see a lot of people not doing the sensible thing in the situations I described and others who even get annoyed with you for doing the sensible/correct thing.

Archived