Questions for drivers.

your suggesting a situation where your asking if i would move to the middle of a junction and put myself in a potentially unsafe position.

i think you already know that answer.

The correct position, as explained by everyone on this thread including a qualified driving instructor.

and then the lights change and your sat blocking the road.

Here’s a free driving lesson from a driving instructor on turning right at traffic lights. Note when the light change to green despite the fact that there are oncoming cars the pupil moves forward to a safe position and waits for an opportunity to turn right.

and Saxon, *i recieved a message last night from a user who described himself as a fleet driver trainer, Advanced/Defensive/NDIS trainer. Advanced examiner

pointing out that *you where wrong.

That's nice for you. So did I and after an exchange, we agreed that whilst the phrasing of my answer was perhaps in need of slight amendment, the sentiment was still valid .

Amber does not mean 'stop' per se - there is a caveat that allows you to go through on Amber if it is unsafe to stop. Unfortunately, however, the general standard of driving is so poor that, for most drivers, it is perhaps better if it was taken to mean 'stop' in it's purest sense, as there is always someone ready to run the risk.

The exact wording of the Highway Code is

Rule 175

You MUST stop behind the white ‘Stop’ line across your side of the road unless the light is green. If the amber light appears you may go on only if you have already crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to stop might cause a collision.

ie if it is unsafe to stop

Now tell me where I'm wrong

Anyway, I've got better things to do than argue the toss with you when you are clearly so set in your ways that no matter how many times you are told you are wrong, not just by one but by everyone, you won't accept it

As you said earlier, I'm out of here. Feel free to say I'm wrong again - I know I'm right and from the comments from other contributors, so do they

Of course we were never talking about someone proceeding over the stop line on amber.

The entire point was that they should proceed to the turning position on green.

If they are still there when the lights go amber, then they go, but they haven't 'proceeded on amber' because they were already well beyond the stop line at that point, in the position to turn right.

and then the lights change and your sat blocking the road.

Then you move and unblock the junction, basic stuff.

There are, admittedly, a few junctions and situations that are a bit uncomfortable for vehicle(s) that sit in no-man's land whilst waiting to turn right but generally going forward and waiting for a gap to turn through or a red light and space to turn works very well.

I can't see how else you will be able to make reasonable progress without entering a junction. Stop at the stop line to turn right at some junctions and you'll be there forever.

for 1 of your questions I come across this every day:- my side give way the opposite side the same, road continuing straight through the middle, we both want to turn right who goes first? you stare at each other wondering if they are about to turn, usually its me, dont know why but I do, but I dont speed out, I edge out and they usually see that im going for it and wait.

Who does go first if you both got to the junction at the same time? I take it if they were waiting first you should flash them for them to go first? I dont know.....

for 1 of your questions I come across this every day:- my side give way the opposite side the same, road continuing straight through the middle, we both want to turn right who goes first? you stare at each other wondering if they are about to turn, usually its me, dont know why but I do, but I dont speed out, I edge out and they usually see that im going for it and wait.

Who does go first if you both got to the junction at the same time? I take it if they were waiting first you should flash them for them to go first? I dont know.....

You shouldn't flash your lights, you just decide between yourselves who goes first. Its sounds like you are already doing it right by getting eye contact with the other driver.

Archived