Employment agencies are parasites.

For many part time work don't pay, giving them ad hoc work don't pay for them, nor does it 'pay' for local government administrators and taxpayers.

A man can work and be worse off, and also increase administration for other organizations. Effectively working for nothing. Yet it costs' business. It's costs' him (loss of income), and it costs' the state (change of circumstances of up to 45 benefits, multiple income taxes and asset based relative income taxes (means tested taxes, tax benefits, tax-benefit-tax credits, address, etc. etc.), and taxpayers. It costs us all, in many respects it is better for society for that person not to work in the first place!

Fixed incomes are easy to tax and administrate, but not many people have fixed incomes.

We need a State bank/benefit office. Productive investment options...

They use the skills of others to make themselves huge sums of money. I think that there is no room for them in the employment chain. If a company wishes to pay me £xxxxxxx for my skills I want ALL of that money because they are MY SKILLS!

I do not want a bunch of parasites wedging themselves inbetween and taking a slice of the action. I do not know why companies use the no good parasites in the first place!

So don't use an agency.

If you use them, I assume you need their services.

I used to work in recruitment approx 6 years ago now and have also worked via an agency too. The service you'll get through an agancy is only as good as your CV. For example, if you've done lots of tad bit jobs which show no specific skill or trade, or you have a bit of an attitude, then you'll not get much out of it. Where as if you have a good skill, a solid work history, good attitude etc, then they can do more for you, and will work hard for you.

We really didn't waste our time with some people as they were either unattractive to employers or just completely unemployable. However those who had something to offer got results. It's a cut throat business.

You seem to think that the agency takes a cut from your wage! Just to assure you, they don't. The service to job seekers if free, it's the employers who pay. If you don't like them, look for jobs on your own.

I used to work in recruitment approx 6 years ago now and have also worked via an agency too. The service you'll get through an agancy is only as good as your CV. For example, if you've done lots of tad bit jobs which show no specific skill or trade, or you have a bit of an attitude, then you'll not get much out of it. Where as if you have a good skill, a solid work history, good attitude etc, then they can do more for you, and will work hard for you.

We really didn't waste our time with some people as they were either unattractive to employers or just completely unemployable. However those who had something to offer got results. It's a cut throat business.

You seem to think that the agency takes a cut from your wage! Just to assure you, they don't. The service to job seekers if free, it's the employers who pay. If you don't like them, look for jobs on your own.

agencies charge a fee to the client company be it on a hourly/daily/per man rate.why is it that people who are sticking up for these agencies think its fair that the workers dont have rights such as pensions/redundancy protection etc. if the same conditions were to be imposed on the workforce i wonder what would the workers say ?

agencies charge a fee to the client company be it on a hourly/daily/per man rate.why is it that people who are sticking up for these agencies think its fair that the workers dont have rights such as pensions/redundancy protection etc. if the same conditions were to be imposed on the workforce i wonder what would the workers say ?

I think you're both talking about different thinds here,betty is on about recruitment agencies where they find jobs for people and the people are then employed by the company, ricgem is talikng about employment agencies where the agency is employed by the company and then they (the agency) employ people to do the job.. I think.. :)

It depends on the type on the type of work you take via an agency, they don't just provide temporary work. If an agency provides you with a permanent position, then the employer would offer you these things in line with their company policy. I'm afraid the clue is in the type of employment, 'temporary'. Why would you get any redundancy protection when you know the job isn't permanent? Not all companies offer a pension, you're free to take out any pension you wish, regardless of employment status.

Everyone has a choice. If you don't like the agency T&C's, then look for work unassisted.

I think you're both talking about different thinds here,betty is on about recruitment agencies where they find jobs for people and the people are then employed by the company, ricgem is talikng about employment agencies where the agency is employed by the company and then they (the agency) employ people to do the job.. I think.. :)

Ahh, you could be right there! :)

We use recruitment agencies sometimes. The advantage to us is that we can take someone, for example, to plaster for a day or so, and we know that the quality of their work is underwritten by the agency.

We only use agencies if our usual team is too busy for a particular job, and agencies are easy for us as we agree the daily rate and if (it's never happened yet) the work wasn't up to standard, we'd decline to pay the agency.

So, if you're good at what you do, it may be worth looking at agencies. It might feel like you're only getting the odd day here and there but a) it's work and b) the company might like you enough to take you on full time when things pick up.

Archived