Blackberry phones

wayne.2011

I've always not liked the fact that every Blackberry works by connecting to central Blackberry servers. It means the networks can have special Blackberry contracts that are more expensive than a normal data package and also there is always potential for it all to fall down like this.

Phones that connect directly to your normal email server still have central points of failure but mainly network based not device specific. Also you can get any data package and not have to pay for a special service. I have never understood how they got so popular.

At work I've had to set-up a Blackberry server (as no amount of logic would convince people otherwise) and we pay a fortune for Blackberry contracts, with my own work phone we pay something like £5 to have a data package and use Nokia Mail for Exchange to connect to our normal exchange server. Much simpler.

Archived