The whitby pub crookesmoor road

actually on addy street and closed in 1960

Think it closed a bit later than 1960.

I moved into the corner shop diagonally just above the Whiitby in 1962 and it was still open then.

I am guessing it closed around '65 when they started pulling down the area - though I could be a year or so out either way

I went in the Whitby in 1966/67 for sure but soon got chucked out as i was only 15. My girlfriends dad used to go in regular and also went to meetings there with the Buffalos whatever they were!! he would never tell me. Does anyone know what they were?.

I went in the Whitby in 1966/67 for sure but soon got chucked out as i was only 15. My girlfriends dad used to go in regular and also went to meetings there with the Buffalos whatever they were!! he would never tell me. Does anyone know what they were?.

This was the Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) which is (was?) a sort of freemasons as I understand it. I am not sure on how it worked to be honest ( Too young see)

They had their meetings in an upstairs room at the Whitby.There was a RAOB plaque on one wall as I recall and the room had a full size snooker table so they could have been playing snooker or billiards for all I know:hihi:

I know this because I was best friends with Mick Ratley whos parents were the landlord and landlady before they moved to Coventry.

Archived