The whitby pub crookesmoor road

Get yourself onto the Pictures Sheffield Site - search for 'Whitby Hotel' - some decent pics while it was open and just prior to demolition.

These bring back a lot of memories and just as I remember it as a kid. The Jubilee beer sign above the door stands out. Good to see Whiteheads newsagents again and the fruit shop next door to the Whitby.

Wasn't the pub above the Whitby called the Ashbury and the Victoria was lower down?

Yep. I lived opposite the Ashberry for a few year (mid 60's) Remember the landlord and landlady

Fond memories of Joe? Whitehead - used to deliver the Sunday papers for him but can only have been around 14 at the time.

Just below the Albion pub was a chemists shop on the corner - and a few doors further down was a fish and chip shop- mind you there was another one on Ashberry Road but in those days chippies were like pubs - all over the place. All that being said there were no more of either once you went further up Crookesmoor Rd. A haberdashery shop opposite Ashberry pub, our shop, a hardware shop (great place) and that was it until almost you got to Barber Rd.

This was the Royal Ancient Order of Buffaloes (RAOB) which is (was?) a sort of freemasons as I understand it. I am not sure on how it worked to be honest ( Too young see)

They had their meetings in an upstairs room at the Whitby.There was a RAOB plaque on one wall as I recall and the room had a full size snooker table so they could have been playing snooker or billiards for all I know:hihi:

I know this because I was best friends with Mick Ratley whos parents were the landlord and landlady before they moved to Coventry.

I always thought it was the Royal Antideluvian Order of Buffaloes.

Thanks for all the replies its very interesting what you say about the Buffalos. I used to go out with a girl who lived on Chatwin Street and i came off the Cross but i was never away from her place . I remember both the chippies and also the one on Daniel Hill it was a very happy time of my youth.

klondyke

your probably right about order of pubs on addy st id forgot about ashbury

used to go to buffs myself in owl inn on penistone rd it was called david garrity lodge i think' does anybody know if any lodges in sheffield still have meetings

Archived