Apple scromping?

did you ever go apple scromping?

i did as a kid:)

as a kid living on gleadless valley during early autum we would go down heeley andmeersbrook ang the big houses down there all had apple trees maybe 2 or3 and we would carry shopping babs and quietly go from street th street scomping apples we wouldnt do the next door neighbours in case someone heard ud

At the bottom of our next door neighbour's garden was a pear tree, the branches hanging over our side of the wall. We all used to scump the pears in spite of the neighbour having several kennels for his dalmatians on the other side of the wall and having several fruit trees of our own. My brother and two pals were at it and one was well up the tree with nearly thirty unripe pears in his rolled up pullover when the neighbour appeared. He asked them if they wanted him to tell their parents so they said no, then if they wanted him to call the police, again no, so then he made the lad who had all the pears in his pullover eat them all. I hope the lad had an inside toilet.

My brother once nearly got us caught scromping apples. He was the smallest so was left as lookout, I was most agile so I was the tree climber, my cousin was stocky and strong so he was the one whose shoulders I would use to get into the tree.

One night we put our jumpers on the grass ready go drop the apples into, brother was on watch, supposedly, and after a few minutes he let out a blood curdling scream (he was never the bravest of the bunch, in fact he was a wimp) and declared there was a ghost as the jumpers were moving on their own, we told him to be quiet but by then a light had gone on at the back of the house so we grabbed the wandering jumpers only to find he had put them on top of a hedgehog.

We got away with the skin of our teeth.

My mother made lovely pies from the apples we managed to get safely home.

Archived